Fishing reels from Chinese websites

horsleyboy

Hi all, i've got 4 or 5 decent Shimano spinning reels, mainly 2000/2500 and would like to expand my arsenal in to some bigger setups (4000/6000) or even try a baitcaster for the first time. I've spent between $30 and $200 each of the Shimano reels i've got and i have to say, to me, there's not much of a difference so i'd rather put the money in to something else.

Has anyone had a good experience with purchasing from any of the Chinese websites? Aliexpress.com, DHGate.com, Banggood.com, Wish etc

Would be great to find some decent budget stuff - Reels, Rods, Terminal Tackle, Line etc

Thanks in advance,
Horsleyboy

Edited by horsleyboy
Add tags

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Actually i forgot about Dinga. I've been to their site once or twice but never really went through it thoroughly.

Yeah Gumtree/FB Marketplace is a great idea. I'd prob get some near new gear at a fraction of the price and brand name too. I'm happy to service it myself as well.

I'll check out Dinga with Fishraider discount too. Didn't know we got a discount! I've sent them an email. The free shipping perk is also a big bonus.

Thanks again guys

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 7:57 PM, horsleyboy said:

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Actually i forgot about Dinga. I've been to their site once or twice but never really went through it thoroughly.

Yeah Gumtree/FB Marketplace is a great idea. I'd prob get some near new gear at a fraction of the price and brand name too. I'm happy to service it myself as well.

I'll check out Dinga with Fishraider discount too. Didn't know we got a discount! I've sent them an email. The free shipping perk is also a big bonus.

Thanks again guys

Hey mate - I've spent quite a bit at the China sites, primarily AliExpress. My thoughts:

* Reels - bit of a gamble, wouldn't drop more than $40USD. Brands like kastking and piscifun are probably the only ones I'd get. Look for key features such as sealed drag, screw in handle, braid capacity, max drag, "braid ready" rubber ring on spool etc.. don't be lures in by number of bearings.

* Leader - wouldn't bother, I find that fc rock from our site sponsor dinga, especially on sale + 5% fishraider bonus, is an excellent leader that also represents good value.

* Braid - mixed bag, lots of false diameters, bleeding ink. The only ones I would consider getting are kastking braids - kastpro is pretty good, as well as mega8. Keep in mind the smallest diameter is about 0.10mm so you are not gonna get any ultrathin lines - braid around the <6LB diameter will need to be sourced elsewhere.

* Rods - expect really low density graphite. Kuying is a pretty good brand but after conversion, GST and shipping, it's a hard value proposition compared to buying locally. The lesson here is that large, bulky and bulky = expensive shipping. 

* SPs - mixed bag, but can find some really good lures averaging out to be $2-$3 per pack of 15. Curly tails and minnows. Creature baits as well. 

* Hardbodies - lots of options, action is good enough. Don't bother with the ultra cheap stuff - terrible quality build and split rings and hooks will rust despite best efforts to rinse them after use. Lots of good brands, look at the pictures for finish as well as the split rings - if they are flattened then there is a good chance it is a good quality lure.

* Metals - great for jigs under 30g , reason being that at that point with any reasonable quantity, shipping kills any value you may have started with. Some of the best pricing on micro jigs, halco clones and tiny metal jigs ~5grams for bonito and tailor.

* Pliers - its own category because ive ordered a few - I keep losing them and like to have a few scattered all over the place and in different bags. Quality is mediocre - will rust if not rinsed. I sprayed wd40 after use to preserve them - seems to do the trick. For split ring pliers, you'll find the pointy tip used to pry split rings might be sharp (good) and some might be blunt (bad) - a reflection on the quality control, so order a few and keep the sharp ones for your lure box and the others for bait application.

* Bags - pretty cheap - lightweight and foldable item, cheap to make so overall cheap to buy.

General tios/considerations:

* Don't forget GST!

* Some sellers have coupons you can add one a minimum order amount has been met

* Cashrewards and shopback offer 5-10% cashback on orders, factor this into your pricing.

* Coming from China, upto 5 weeks shipping, my own experience has been 3-4weeks.

* Number of orders + rating is generally good indicator of reliability - though doesn't always mean the cheapest for what is very likely a mass produced, rebranded product sold by many other seller son AliExpress.

Let me know if you find something you are considering and I can share my thoughts on it.

• Like 1

I do keep my eye out on reels all the time.

If you tell me what one you are looking for i can help you find a good deal 

What size, quality budget etc..

Normally, i stick to shimano for the smaller sized reels. 1000-4000

If i want bigger ones, i gear towards Daiwa a bit more however no prejudice if a good deal is a good deal.

Also, i tend to stick towards the medium-high quality reels. 

Unless its a reel i don't mind thrashing on the beach

truth is a higher quality reel is only for better handling and comfort.

I tend to avoid second hand reels because its not a huge different in price for second hand reels. Unless you want an older generation reel which is usually discounted by 30-40 %

In terms of tackle, i try avoid buying cheap stuff.

I've come across some pretty shocking stuff and i spent money on better quality tackle.

I'd rather a sharper quality hook than a hook is cheap and snaps.
Same goes with line, i try stick to the better stuff so it casts better and more sensitivity.

Edited by Kevwing

Hi,

I have two Kasking reels.I bought the top of range they are ok. I also have several Fin-Nor Lethal reels  which are excellent especially the Lethal 100. I bought them off Dinga , he gave me the best price. I have just bought a Ecooda Black Hawk 2 5000 Reel. This reel had excellent reviews.

Cheers.