One of those weeks

JonD

Its been one of those weeks where just about everything I've touched has stuffed up, pretty funny really. 

In the last 24hrs alone I've managed to write off my wife's car having a head on with a barrier at 100kh. Turns out there are a few issues in regards to electric assist steering in modern cars where it can and has suddenly stopped resulting in steering lock up, not so good when it happens on a bend. By the time I read the warning telling me my steering assist had failed I had a stell barrier half slicing through the front of my wife's car ( also the car my kids are learning to drive on). Air bags also failed to go off, Ford Focus, which after google searching turns out to be a common problem that Ford Au don't consider a safety issue, however in the US Ford did a recall, if you own one be very careful.

This morning I had a mate who wanted some assistance using his boat offshore for the first time, we have to cross a notoriously bad bar crossing. Was a good day for him to get a feel of the boat with 1.5m swell and around 1m of wind chop. All went well untill we got back inside the river mouth where we decided to do some speed, trim, prop, rpm testing. This involved flat out full throttle for determining the right prop was getting the outfit to the full rpm range of the outboard ( something everyone should do when sitting up their outfit). 

Full throttle also means full fuel burn, here came the next issue, the fuel gauge that stated 3/4 full wasnow empty. Not the end of the world as it was an incoming tide, unfortunately trying to paddle 5.5m of boat with one paddle was slow going, so slow that we ended up still 1km from the boat ramp after the tide change. I suggested heading to the oyster covered break wall where I hopped out and pulled the boat as the owner and his father stayed onboard pushing the boat off the rocks with a boat hook. This all went well untill just before we reached the boat ramp where I hoped back onto the boat. This is where an oyster sliced through my croc and into my foot "bugger". Now my foot is swollen to the point I can't stand on it, my neck is sore and stiff and my lower back is pulsing pain!!!

Just a few days ago I helped another mate with his new 27ft boat and found even with a $200,000 boat, this doesn't mean there's a first aid kit onboard. First fish he caught  was a rock cod. With no pliers or discorger onboard I thought I had better help my mate out before he got spiked. Stuck my thumb down it's gob for a safe grip, then grabbed the hook with the other hand, next thing my mate stumbled in the swell, pulling on the line which resulted in the fish pulling from my hand and a spine tearing open the top of my finger. Dam those things hurt, not only that but the bleeding doesn't stop. Ended up with a balloon over the finger which I had to keep releasing to empty the blood.

Not quite sure if to head out solo again tomorrow 50km offshore chassing yellowfin or go on another mates boat. Which ever I do I hope my jinx has finished, at least this mate has twin engines and a first aid kit.

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.20253c511e56895eba578ee7c360eadf.JPG
Edited by JonD

Shame about the car, but at least you got to walk away from the accident. Ford's stance on the airbags is interesting, I wonder if the motoring safety authorities are of the same opinion. I bet not!

They say things come in threes, therefore you should be good to go for the time being Jon. (I am classifying the cut foot and the no fuel as the one incident) haha.

28 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Shame about the car, but at least you got to walk away from the accident. Ford's stance on the airbags is interesting, I wonder if the motoring safety authorities are of the same opinion. I bet not!

They say things come in threes, therefore you should be good to go for the time being Jon. (I am classifying the cut foot and the no fuel as the one incident) haha.

Yep my daughter just managed to get all the bits of oyster out of my foot, which already feels better. Now I feel far safer taking on a couple of little electrical projects around the house😉

Today I opened the kitchen cupboard :( top shelf mated with the bottom shelf, lots of little glass babies.

Took the dog for a walk and she rolled in s**t!!!

Then successfuly moved a power point and found my daughter's lost Costa glasses under a reptile housing in the garage. The dog now smells great, daughter is happy and I've got yellowfin for dinner, time to get that lotto ticket:)

IMG_1332.thumb.JPG.749c2169c4c9bb00d2bc547a702863f4.JPG