Weekend Kings - hacking -

Tdogz

Hey raiders 

Been awhile since my last post due to winter and nothing worth posting about 

So lately I’ve been setting out with trying the catch the first kingfish of the season 

(Always the hardest) 

So after roughly 2-3 trips returning with a donut, This weekend produced the goods 

——Saturday—-

So as normal day starts with catching some fresh live squid for bait and within about 1 hour off cronulla we had 10 lives ready to set out 

With the conditions over the weekend not ideal for offshore fishing we set out in the hacking 

Over that past couple of trips I’ve been marking them in Gymea Bay and lilli pilli but they were only taking the micro baits 

So set out in lilli pilli and after a troll of 30 of minutes I’m marking up a decent school holding the bottom then boom! Double hook up on the kings me and 1st mate both score our first kings of the season 

1st 63cm  2nd 58cm , this continued for another 3 fish each all undersize till we called it a day 

—-Sunday—

So on back on the water for the low tide change.. geared up with the leftover squid from the Saturday we had back over to lilli pilli and just happen to find a school of bait while setting up the rods , then a few moments later the sounder lit up with big marks So out when 2 squid.. within seconds 2nd mates rod bends and starts screaming after a good fight a 71cm king comes in the boat ( his first king of the season aswell) then it went all quite fished for a another 3 hours for nothing 

Kings are back baby get amongst it! 

Cheers tdogz 

Tight lines!

0E73DE57-29AF-48CB-9897-2A8FEBD01FEF.jpeg

C31D1EF0-14DC-4118-BE99-73DC159E6BDF.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice catches @Tdogz and thanks for the report.

If you dont mind sharing, whats your technique for squidding in the hacking? As in, what rig and at what depths/land features do you catch them in that area? I've tried catching them in the area maaany times in the past but always came out empty handed. 

2 hours ago, mtlg said:

If you dont mind sharing, whats your technique for squidding in the hacking? As in, what rig and at what depths/land features do you catch them in that area? I've tried catching them in the area maaany times in the past but always came out empty handed. 

I always do well catching squid in the hacking.  2.5 or 3.0 jig  lumo white or pink seems to be the colours that work best for me.

Bear

Not a hacking or squiding expert but in sydney harbour I chuck out a jig just about everywhere I stop and Im surprised at the places that I get them outside the reconised squid grounds. Sand and weed seem to be key but not essential just a matter of belief last wednesday spent 3 hrs on a known squid ground for 4 squid too much effort to be used for bait we ate the lor lol

14 hours ago, blaxland said:

Not a hacking or squiding expert but in sydney harbour I chuck out a jig just about everywhere I stop and Im surprised at the places that I get them outside the reconised squid grounds. Sand and weed seem to be key but not essential just a matter of belief last wednesday spent 3 hrs on a known squid ground for 4 squid too much effort to be used for bait we ate the lor lol

LOL we seem to eat more than use for bait too!

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 10:07 AM, mtlg said:

Hey mate 

normally use a 2.2 or 2.5 Yama in white ,orange , green In 2m to 6m of water and you’ll find them in the weed or reed areas mate I have my most luck off cronulla 

hope this helps 

• Like 1