Jump to content

Weekend Kings - hacking -


Tdogz
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey raiders 

 

Been awhile since my last post due to winter and nothing worth posting about 

 

So lately I’ve been setting out with trying the catch the first kingfish of the season 

(Always the hardest) 

So after roughly 2-3 trips returning with a donut, This weekend produced the goods 

 

——Saturday—-

So as normal day starts with catching some fresh live squid for bait and within about 1 hour off cronulla we had 10 lives ready to set out 

 With the conditions over the weekend not ideal for offshore fishing we set out in the hacking 

 

Over that past couple of trips I’ve been marking them in Gymea Bay and lilli pilli but they were only taking the micro baits 

So set out in lilli pilli and after a troll of 30 of minutes I’m marking up a decent school holding the bottom then boom! Double hook up on the kings me and 1st mate both score our first kings of the season 

1st 63cm  2nd 58cm , this continued for another 3 fish each all undersize till we called it a day 

 

—-Sunday—

 

So on back on the water for the low tide change.. geared up with the leftover squid from the Saturday we had back over to lilli pilli and just happen to find a school of bait while setting up the rods , then a few moments later the sounder lit up with big marks So out when 2 squid.. within seconds 2nd mates rod bends and starts screaming after a good fight a 71cm king comes in the boat ( his first king of the season aswell) then it went all quite fished for a another 3 hours for nothing 

 

Kings are back baby get amongst it! 

Cheers tdogz 

Tight lines!

0E73DE57-29AF-48CB-9897-2A8FEBD01FEF.jpeg

C31D1EF0-14DC-4118-BE99-73DC159E6BDF.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice catches @Tdogz and thanks for the report.

If you dont mind sharing, whats your technique for squidding in the hacking? As in, what rig and at what depths/land features do you catch them in that area? I've tried catching them in the area maaany times in the past but always came out empty handed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mtlg said:

Nice catches @Tdogz and thanks for the report.

If you dont mind sharing, whats your technique for squidding in the hacking? As in, what rig and at what depths/land features do you catch them in that area? I've tried catching them in the area maaany times in the past but always came out empty handed. 

I always do well catching squid in the hacking.  2.5 or 3.0 jig  lumo white or pink seems to be the colours that work best for me.

 

Bear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a hacking or squiding expert but in sydney harbour I chuck out a jig just about everywhere I stop and Im surprised at the places that I get them outside the reconised squid grounds. Sand and weed seem to be key but not essential just a matter of belief last wednesday spent 3 hrs on a known squid ground for 4 squid too much effort to be used for bait we ate the lor lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, blaxland said:

Not a hacking or squiding expert but in sydney harbour I chuck out a jig just about everywhere I stop and Im surprised at the places that I get them outside the reconised squid grounds. Sand and weed seem to be key but not essential just a matter of belief last wednesday spent 3 hrs on a known squid ground for 4 squid too much effort to be used for bait we ate the lor lol

 

LOL we seem to eat more than use for bait too!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 1:53 PM, Tdogz said:

Hey raiders 

 

Been awhile since my last post due to winter and nothing worth posting about 

 

So lately I’ve been setting out with trying the catch the first kingfish of the season 

(Always the hardest) 

So after roughly 2-3 trips returning with a donut, This weekend produced the goods 

 

——Saturday—-

So as normal day starts with catching some fresh live squid for bait and within about 1 hour off cronulla we had 10 lives ready to set out 

 With the conditions over the weekend not ideal for offshore fishing we set out in the hacking 

 

Over that past couple of trips I’ve been marking them in Gymea Bay and lilli pilli but they were only taking the micro baits 

So set out in lilli pilli and after a troll of 30 of minutes I’m marking up a decent school holding the bottom then boom! Double hook up on the kings me and 1st mate both score our first kings of the season 

1st 63cm  2nd 58cm , this continued for another 3 fish each all undersize till we called it a day 

 

—-Sunday—

 

So on back on the water for the low tide change.. geared up with the leftover squid from the Saturday we had back over to lilli pilli and just happen to find a school of bait while setting up the rods , then a few moments later the sounder lit up with big marks So out when 2 squid.. within seconds 2nd mates rod bends and starts screaming after a good fight a 71cm king comes in the boat ( his first king of the season aswell) then it went all quite fished for a another 3 hours for nothing 

 

Kings are back baby get amongst it! 

Cheers tdogz 

Tight lines!

0E73DE57-29AF-48CB-9897-2A8FEBD01FEF.jpeg

C31D1EF0-14DC-4118-BE99-73DC159E6BDF.jpeg

Nice fish boys good to see the kings are back

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2018 at 10:07 AM, mtlg said:

Nice catches @Tdogz and thanks for the report.

If you dont mind sharing, whats your technique for squidding in the hacking? As in, what rig and at what depths/land features do you catch them in that area? I've tried catching them in the area maaany times in the past but always came out empty handed. 

Hey mate 

normally use a 2.2 or 2.5 Yama in white ,orange , green In 2m to 6m of water and you’ll find them in the weed or reed areas mate I have my most luck off cronulla 

hope this helps 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      68.3k
    • Total Posts
      557.1k
×
×
  • Create New...