Adjustable rod holder

garfield28

Hi All,

Has anyone ever had the attached rod holder that can tell me how the bl@@dy thing works?

Looking at it and how it goes on the rail, it comes out and I guess you'd be losing some rods! 

Not sure If I am trying to mount it correctly or not but I cannot see how it would go any other way.

Thanks 

Geoff 

BCF_129159_hi-res.jpg

Not sure exactly what your talking about but they simply bolt to the rail.If your talking about the swiveling part they normally have a shaft with a key way that you push in and turn to lock it securely in it's mount.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Not sure exactly what your talking about but they simply bolt to the rail.If your talking about the swiveling part they normally have a shaft with a key way that you push in and turn to lock it securely in it's mount.

Fab, I think unless you know the actual one in the pic its hard to explain but the whole thing comes out once it is even bolted onto the rail... From what I can tell you cannot secure it properly which is why if someone actually has this particular one or has seen them they might know what I'm on about but I think they just cannot be secured once they are bolted on. 

@garfield28 the picture you posted probably looks confusing as  its oriented the wrong way. 

The picture below shows how its clipped onto the rail ... and you tilt the rod holder in the direction of the arrow to point over the gunwale.   

The spigot slots in vertically into the rail clamp mount - this prevents it from being pulled out.  There is a little key on the spigot and a slot in the rail clamp hole that ensures you can't accidentally whip the rod holder out of the mount (you need to consciously rotate it 180deg to line up the key and the slot and lift vertically  to remove the rod holder).

BCF_129159_hi-res.thumb.jpg.d19b3462630d0005c836b53fded1765c.jpg.9d60740790ec87b5cbac5d4060ed30e2.jpg

I installed these many years ago (not on rails, but on the inside face of my gunwales), and eventually replaced the rod holder plastic part with an alloy tube that I had modified to allow easy rod placement.  I used the spigot mount and the spigot bracket to hold the alloy tube - still inservice today many years later.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Geoff,

In case my post didn't quite make sense ... here is how I have mounted/modified that rod holder.

image.png.68f5c0d838aaec42cf4d7d8a52947bc4.png

I found the plastic rod holder tube went brittle after a few summers in the sun but the mount and bracket/spigot seemed to be made of carbon fibre and quite robust. So I used some alloy tube as shown - still in use many many years later.

Cheers  Zoran

• Like 1

Hey Zoran,

Thanks for the info and pic mate, but I cannot think how that would still not come out of the top with the way that they are designed. 

The one I have cannot lock in any way it just comes out if you pull it up, if that makes sense... I'll have to try and take pics to explain myself

Hi Geoff

The spigot has a key (little tag) on one side. The base has a notch to fit the key and let the spigot slide in or out.

In my case I have to rotate the holder to face away from the water (point into the boat) to slot the spigot in or to take it out.

So when the holder is facing the water it actually can’t be pulled up and out. Hope that makes sense. 

Maybe you have the base upside down or the base has to be on the water facing side of the rail. In any case, you need to change the orientation until the key slot does not allow you to pull the rod holder up and out when in the normal fishing position facing the water. 

Cheers 

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962