Shoalhaven

Sweet lip

Firstly hi to everyone.  

This is my first time participating in a forum in relation to my beloved sport, that i don't get to do anywhere close to what i would like due to my location. I am about to leave the red dust and dry paddocks to head out on a 7 hour trip east to the Shoalhaven district, for a five day R&R break. I would be very appreciative for any advice that any of you good people may be able to provide on tides, times, species, rigs and locations that may be a great starting point for us, particularly around Greenwell Point.

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, Sweet lip said:

Probably would have assisted a little bit! Yes we have a boat mate.

Well, I haven’t fished the area for many years but if your boat (and you and your crew) is offshore capable, I’d be heading straight to The Banks! Just be aware that the seas can be dangerous in S and SE winds.

If fishing in the river, it’s pretty good for flathead, bream etc.

The Crookhaven River and The Canal (the stretch of water linking the Crookhaven and Shoalhaven Rivers) fish well for flathead, drifting with baits or plastics. If you can manage it, drift along the channel edges, but you'll find fish out in the middle too.

There's plenty of rock walls and the like that hold bream in close and so many spots there's always somewhere out of the wind if its blowing hard. Jump onto google earth and you'll get a good idea of the river layout.

Personally, I've always found the lower half of the run out tide fishes best and if that coincides with dawn or dusk you have the prime time to be out there.

If you have a pump, there's plenty of flats that hold yabbies and if you can trap a few poddy mullet and fish them fresh, or better still live, you have the 2 prime baits in the area.

• Like 2

I was down there last weekend with my mate and my old man.  We got 12 flathead ranging from 30cm to 47 cm.   We also caught a 30somethingcm flounder and a 47cm tailor.    Not bad for a hour an a half's fishing then the wind came up so we called it a day. 

We had work to do on my old man's caravan anyway, so we wouldn't have been out much longer really, just good to get out on the water with my father.  He was stoked since he doesn't fish plastics that often and still pulled in 3 flatties and that tailor.  My mate and I were guiding him, telling him where to cast and how to retireve.  We were fishing with 2-5kg rods, 2500 sized reels with 4-8lb braid and 8 lb leader.

All fish were released unharmed.  We were on the boat and were just drifting around using plastics in 3-5m of water just around the corner from the vehicle ferry towards nowra bridge casting towards the rock wall.

8 hours ago, Sweet lip said:

AExcellent, thanks for the detailed info, greatly appreciated. I will be arriving there sometime Friday, don't know how we will go  given they weather, but will definitely be utalising all the mail I've been given.

Cheers.

You probably already know sweetlip or can see lol! 

But fishing this weekend down at the south coast may be tough... (very windy) 💨 

the wind should settle down early Saturday morning according to app. 

Cheers, Oz. 

Edited by Oz98

Yes Oz, I seen it first hand! didn't do so well in the strike rate, but managed to meet some great blokes where we stayed, and had a great few days away from the dust. Oh, and some ales!

Cheers.

On 11/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, Oz98 said:

You probably already know sweetlip or can see lol! 

But fishing this weekend down at the south coast may be tough... (very windy) 💨 

the wind should settle down early Saturday morning according to app. 

Cheers, Oz. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sweet lip said:

Yes Oz, I seen it first hand! didn't do so well in the strike rate, but managed to meet some great blokes where we stayed, and had a great few days away from the dust. Oh, and some ales!

Cheers.

It's always good to catch a few new mates to compensate the fishing, still sounds a like  great time!