Engine hours...how much ?

GoingFishing

Hi all

I have just completed 12 months on the new boat. I had a mystery illness that grounded me pretty much all of May and June. But i still managed to put 123 hrs on the motor.

So that got me thinking? How many hours does everyone else average in a year and for what type of boating? I use my boat almost exclusively for fishing.

Ps...its not a comp!! Just curious 😂😂

Sam

Edited by GoingFishing

7 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Hi all

I have just completed 12 months on the new boat. I had a mystery illness that grounded me pretty much all of May and June. But i till managed to put 123 hrs on the motor.

So that got me thinking? How many hours does everyone else average in a year and for what type of boating? I use my boat almost exclusively for fishing.

Ps...its not a comp!! Just curious 😂😂

Sam

No where near as much as I'd like.I don't have an hr meter but at a guess maybe 20hrs a year and even then I think I'm overestimating.Apparently from what I've researched very few boaters do more than 100 yr and you'd be up there with the elite.

It's an interesting topic though as there's too many variables in how far you go out, whether you troll,tow a ski/biscuit,how often you move from anchored etc.

We tend to drive out to our chosen fishing spot and drift or anchor solely and at times like in places like lake Illawarra are not very far from the ramp at all using bugger all fuel and very little engine running time.

Our use is only fishing.

In regards to hrs if buying a used unknown boat and had to choose one with 200hrs that was maticulously serviced on time and looked after or one with 50hrs that had holes in its service record I'd pick the one with the highest hours.

Intrested to see what others comment.

I'm  bit of a boat slut averaging around 250-300hrs on my boat and at least 150hrs on other boats. Before I had the zodiac I found getting 50-100 max was a challenge due to our local bar crossing, the rib makes rough water fun.

I really don't like anchoring in the rib, it's awakward even using a float to raise the anchor, which means I tend to keep the engine running most of the day. The f70 uses very little fuel even at cruise speed heading offshore to the seamounts and my local mobile mechanic is very reasonable, last trip offshore clocking just over 100km used less than 30lt of fuel.

I enjoy driving boats as much as the fishing or diving, in fact probably more.

I just looked at gps   its only on when motors running......75hrs 420 naut mile........lots of my trips are in lake mac catching bream n flatties and I don't put reports up on all my trips.....I fish two or three arvos some weeks...100hrs would be lots of boating...rick

750 hrs in 6 years, and ive been whacked by work and financial commitments the last 3 years so havent fished anywhere near as much as i would of liked. My motor rarely gets turned off, would rather buy it than a motor thats had 100hrs use in 10 years

I average around 35hrs per year, happy to get it up to around 45hrs as that's a big jump for me as I usually only drive 40mins fish and 40mins back, unless using the Donut.

I have 3 mates with boats and they would be luck to average 15hrs per year, one has a 8yr old boat that has only done 75hrs.