Solitary Islands

Fish_More

Hi all

My understanding is that if I want to fish the Solitary Islands, I effectively have 3 options for boat ramps.

1. Coffs Harbour - think the ramp is currently closed?

2. Wooli - not a very good bar and not very experienced on bars.  The only bars I have crossed solo are Batemans Bay (wouldn't have even realised was a bar other than the shallow bit that I went over) and 1770.  1770 was a bit rough one day when we went out a couple of times.  Once went across the bar just to see what it was like as new it was too bad outside to go any further and another time turned around once outside as did not want to pound out 50kms to the fishing ground.  Have also done Bill Courten's bar crossing course and crossed South Passage bar 10 times in a day, but you have somebody sitting next to you telling you what to do.

3. Minnie Water - will be flying solo, so not sure a beach launch (for the first time) is the go.

So I guess these really leaves me with Wooli bar as the only option?

Am I missing any options?

Thanks

Mark

Yeah beach launch  just realized your solo  minnie is same  very hard solo  if hittin south n split use coffs  if north sol use wooli  ive been over bar  heaps of times  just pik good day  and head nth as soon as u get out as there is shoals straight out  zoom in on google an look or check navionics it shows contours an depths

Coffs is your safest option, the ramp is much improved since it was modified a couple of years ago. Wooli Bar is not a great bar to start your bar crossing career on- dont do it without local knowledge thats up to date

I've done Wooli bar many times, the rough stuff seems to often extend well out past the bar, often a few hundred metres. The river and launch site can be very low ( shallow) and cross currents at the ramp can make solo tricky also, picking tides helps.

There is also shallow reef 200-300m out the front of Wooli which picks up swell at times making the sets pretty steep, also found surfers right in the middle of the bar at the point of no return. 

Edited by JonD