Chinese Five Spice Salt & Pepper Squid

SydneyIsSkyBlue

Thought I'd share my recipe for salt & pepper squid with a bit of a twist.

Ingredients needed:

- 1kg squid hood + legs (I prefer to lightly score the hoods and cut into long triangular shapes)
- milk
- 200g tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns (ground down roughly preferably with a mortar and pestle)
- vegetable oil
- sea salt
- Chinese 5 spice powder - this is easily purchased from supermarkets.

Method:

1) Clean the squid then split the squid's hood down the middle to open it up. Lightly score the squid (don't throw out the tentacles either) and then cut into strips or triangles and set aside.

2) Soak squid pieces in a bowl of milk (preferably overnight) in the fridge to allow lactic acid to tenderise.

3) Prepare your dry rub by placing the tapioca flour, sweet paprika, ground Szechuan peppercorns and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix to combine ingredients.

4) Remove your squid from the fridge and then drop the squid pieces into the dry rub mix (you don't want to remove the milk as this will obviously help bind the dry rub) and set aside.

5) Heat oil up gently on a medium heat and once oil is ready, quickly fry your squid pieces - be careful as these will spit like crazy. This should take around 90 seconds to cook.

6) Remove squid onto a paper-lined plate and allow excess oil to drain. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl prepare the seasoning by putting a 1:1 ratio of sea salt (preferably ground up) and Chinese five spice powder and sprinkle over your squid. A few finely chopped garlic chives/shallots and chilli doesn't go astray to add a bit of extra flavour.

Recommended Dipping Sauce:

I like to make my own mayo with a simple grapeseed oil and egg yolk mix, however a good store bought egg mayo would be perfectly fine as well. A little squeeze of fresh lime juice, sprinkle of salt and white pepper and sriracha chili sauce to taste.

Would love to hear how people enjoy it if you decide to make it.

SSIB

Edited by SydneyIsSkyBlue
  • Like 5