Rebel

Life Jackets on the Rocks Central Coast

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

The Central Coast Council is trying to have Life Jackets made compulsory on all rock fishing spots on the Central Coast.

Cheers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be like seat belts in a car either when on a boat or rock fishing.  I rarely notice I have mine on when I boat alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not compulsory down my way, but I wear one and wouldn't dream of not doing so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% the other way- if i though conditions warranted the wearing of a jacket then i would not fish, the drowning rates and deaths for rockfishing in Australia (thats all of Oz not just NSW) are pretty consistantly about 10-12 per annum out of between 250-290 drownings, my prediction is this- in 5 years time when jackets are compulsary everywhere and deaths HAVE NOT DECLINED (they wont) the next step for our fun loving Governments will be to start locking us out of rockfishing spots. Its simple, if conditions are that rough that you need a jacket, or if you are not wearing the correct footwear or you are so uncoordinated you cant help yourself from falling in-DONT rockfish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paddy, I do understand what you're saying, but.......

I do NOT fish in any conditions where I could be possibly be washed in however, the rocks in my area are extremely weathered and tripping, especially wearing cleats, is a very real possibility. The water is deep and if I should ever go in, there's no broken waves to duck dive. That's why I choose to wear a PFD and honestly, once I start fishing I barely notice I've got it on.

Also, my chosen rocks are rather remote, mobile phone reception is extremely poor at best and help is a long way away.

Edited by Green Hornet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep and thats fine- thats your personal choice, as soon as Govt starts stepping in"for our own good" thats where I really have problems, the natural instinct of Govt and lawmakers is to "create law" and ban stuff- what about a shallow gutter thats wave washed- a jacket is actually more dangerous than none- as a question about your chosen spot- do you have a climb out route available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

 what about a shallow gutter thats wave washed- a jacket is actually more dangerous than none- as a question about your chosen spot- do you have a climb out route available?

I don't fish any shallow gutters.

The spot I referred to in my earlier post where I mainly fish has 2 climb out spots. 1 either side of the fishing platform, either of which I would access depending on the current. No way would I fish a spot that doesn't have at least one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I don't fish any shallow gutters." Hence why I pointed out that a blanket rule for all rockfishing scenarios is foolish- it should be personal choice- in your situation fair enough, if you get smashed up on the way in a jacket will at least keep you alive, in a wave wash situation it will stop you reaching safety and possibly kill you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm against it 100%, but I always wear my life jacket.

Its poorly thought out law. You need a life jacket if you are fishing but not if you are standing there and that is my objection.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I fish Snapper Point on the Central Coast also Avoca. Years ago Ben Buckler. My dad made me wear a life jacket and spiked boots I grew up with them. I was a good swimmer but it didn't matter put the gear on.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 4:57 PM, Rebel said:

Hi All,

The Central Coast Council is trying to have Life Jackets made compulsory on all rock fishing spots on the Central Coast.

Cheers.

Education would be a much more effective approach but that wouldn’t raise any revenue would it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Education would cost a whole lot more also.

Having said that there have been quite a few Rock fishing seminars on in Sydney featuring Alex Bellissimo over the last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 11:08 AM, PaddyT said:

"I don't fish any shallow gutters." Hence why I pointed out that a blanket rule for all rockfishing scenarios is foolish- it should be personal choice- in your situation fair enough, if you get smashed up on the way in a jacket will at least keep you alive, in a wave wash situation it will stop you reaching safety and possibly kill you.

hi,

   why does a life jacket make it more dangerous?

cheers

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 11:10 AM, antonywardle said:

I'm against it 100%, but I always wear my life jacket.

Its poorly thought out law. You need a life jacket if you are fishing but not if you are standing there and that is my objection.

 

I see where you're coming from, but (at least from what I see on the media) most people who  drown on the rocks are fishos  and not tourist/sightseers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

hi,

   why does a life jacket make it more dangerous?

cheers

Richard

In areas where there are broken waves a PFD can hinder your ability to duck dive under them and increase the probability of you being washed up against the rock face, resulting in further injuries.

Some could argue a manually inflatable PFD could be used in such a situation. Theory being, you swim away from the rocks and once in clear, unbroken water, then inflate your PFD. For those that haven't tried, good luck trying to swim with one of those things hanging around your neck. You'll be pretty much at the mercy of the current.

Like others have said, an uneducated thought out law, that will only work in specific locations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

In areas where there are broken waves a PFD can hinder your ability to duck dive under them and increase the probability of you being washed up against the rock face, resulting in further injuries.

Some could argue a manually inflatable PFD could be used in such a situation. Theory being, you swim away from the rocks and once in clear, unbroken water, then inflate your PFD. For those that haven't tried, good luck trying to swim with one of those things hanging around your neck. You'll be pretty much at the mercy of the current.

Like others have said, an uneducated thought out law, that will only work in specific locations.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In munmorah national park central coast 6 of the last 10 drownings were tourists wandering round near the caves in big seas  anyone with sense would not go down on the rocks  too many Asian tourists with no idea of the way the ocean works wander down near Frazier park to get foots then get smutted by a supposedly freak wave  the only freaks are the muppets walking down on rocks that are soaking wet from a 4mtr wave that hit 5 mins ago   fools

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very true. Like the five Asians at Catherine Hill Bay. Went fishing, never been seen since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep  5 yrs ago I was building the fence round NPark office n depot when a Canadian tourist walked out on the rocks for a foto an got hit by 4.5mtr swell  bye bye    it happens more often up here than it should   there are signs up in multiple languages but u can't stop stupid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the above is true- BUT we can all do our part by pulling people up when statements like "Rockfishing is the most dangerous sport"- it simply is not- just as many people die snorkelling and scuba diving, more die horseriding, call people out on their BS-rockfishing is a safe activity if simple common sense rules are followed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble with these laws being introduced is complex  if i have a fishing rod in hand  need pfd  if im collecting cabbage off an exposed point where i have to run from waves i dont   people gettin fotos taken on the edge of an unsafe ledge dont  it doesnt make sense   when u r fishin a wash u r watchin the water constantly and know when to bak up and retreat...i personally have spent my life fishing an spearing from rocks...i have been washed in while figjting a kingy on wybung  but i washed myself up two waves later  spearing teaches u what its like to be in tje drink lookin up  most people have no concept of what its like to be bobbing round in the ocean then panic sets in  worse if they have been injured enroute   tourists dont understand and have never experienced the power of the sea  thats why so many drown at patrolled beaches let alone remote spots in national parks....the pfd laws need to be looked at properly before they are implemented  sorry bout the rant but ive saved two idiots in the last ten years and im over it  dealin with muppets is one way to ruin your day and their families if your not there...rick

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      63,333
    • Total Posts
      504,264