Sorry, No Photo

Green Hornet

Question

While the weathers been crap I've been transferring my old fishing diary book onto my PC and came across an entry someone here maybe able to help me with.

Back in June 2002, I caught a fish about 25cm that had a head like a luderick and the body was shaped like that of a sweep. It was black and had white diamonds on its sides about 1cm across.

It was caught from the rocks on cabbage weed just south of Jervis Bay.

I've tried a pretty thorough internet search but haven't been able to find anything like it. I know its not a zebra fish because I caught one of those not long before this thing.

Obviously caught long before the days of mobile phone cameras so sorry, no pic.

Any ideas?

Edited by Green Hornet

5 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, frankS said:

This is probably closer to your description, Same family.

1224429548_lowfin-drummer-kyphosus-vaigiensis-juvenile-swimming-at-shipwreck-DW8M66fs.thumb.jpg.cdd22ab8bdcae03c6fde1592c8c22079.jpg

Frank

This thing looks close and maybe the fish looks blacker out of the water and the diamond shapes more pronounced.

What is this one? Snubnose Drummer?

Edited by Green Hornet

48 minutes ago, frankS said:

Hi, when you say it had diamonds on the side are you talking about scale pattern ? or colour pattern ? . Could it have been a juvenile Silver drummer ?.

Frank

drummer .jpg

No, it was the colour pattern. I believe the fish to be too black to be a silver drummer.