Who remembers the good old 80's

Fab1

By the time the 80's came about I was well on my way to becoming middle aged, cricky I can remember the 50's we were lucky to have a TV set in the house and not everyone was connected to the phone.

I bet you simply got up from your bike wreck dusted yourself off and continued on your way, these days a big deal would be made of it cause you weren't wearing a helmet elbow and knee pads etc.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1980 .... I just finished my HSC, last day of high school, thought shit theres 3months before uni starts, walked home past the local RSL (still dressed in school uniform), stepped in and asked for a job, got chewed out by the doorman, stood my ground, manager came out to check on the commotion .... liked my initiative and I started work that night at 6pm.

We didn't have much, and we didn't expect much .... knew you had to make your own way back then .......

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 4

Guest Guest123456789

Highlight was skiing for the first time in 87 staying at the lodge at smiggins with my brother and my single mum. We were flat broke and I don’t know how she paid for it on a teachers salary,  but basically she dropped us at the smiggins chairlift with all the gear and a lift ticket at 9am, i was 6 and my brother was 9 and she said ‘meet me back here at 4pm’. Our gear was not waterproof and our skis/boots didn’t fit but we had a blast. We taught ourselves how to ski and even made it to Perisher front valley mid station for a hot chocolate. If you did that these days you’d be arrested!

That's how I was getting to fishing spots with my cousin in the middle of 80s. We used country small unsealed roads/trails to avoid contact with authorities as both were too young for motor bike license.  So, in a case of unexpected landing from the back of the bike - it was just a quick laugh, wipe of  the dust and back into the saddle to continue rodeo. Social media? Even our parents did not know about our near-fail adventures (and bike abuse) on the road. Yeah... Memories...

Screenshot_2018-11-30-15-14-18.jpg

• Like 1

During the 80s, being born in 1978, my old man taught me to fish.  Dont remember the exact date, but I do remember I received my first daiwa combo, my own rod and reel and my first tackle box, for christmas in 1988.  That entire Christmas day was spent with Dad teaching me how to tie knots and make up rigs ready for boxing day. Thanks Mum and Dad

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mii11x said:

During the 80s, being born in 1978, my old man taught me to fish.  Dont remember the exact date, but I do remember I received my first daiwa combo, my own rod and reel and my first tackle box, for christmas in 1988.  That entire Christmas day was spent with Dad teaching me how to tie knots and make up rigs ready for boxing day. Thanks Mum and Dad

In 1988 i was celebrating with my older brothers in the city for sydneys bicentenary.30yrs already.How time flies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

I thought if you remembered it, you weren’t really there!???🤪

I remember attending and not much else after a few too many  forced drinks down me at the age of 14.lol.

• Like 1

In 1980 I started the 13 steps to becoming a Buddhist Monk. 

After 10 years and on step 13 I was told to hand over my worldly possessions. 

I asked if that included my fishing rods.  They said yes, so I went to the pub instead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

In the 1980's I was expected to have common sense and if I fell down and hurt my self, it was my fault!!

..... exactly .... we took responsibility for ourselves and our actions ... good and bad ... we experimented with bad (who didn't?) but we learnt quickly bad things tend to hurt and it was our own fault .... we owned our own achievements and failures equally .....  there was no participation award ! 

...and of course we went fishing !

Cheers Z

• Thanks 1

80s was a big decade for me Apprenticeship 81-85 with lots of sport and fishing Most of the eighties I played semi professional soccer Europe in 85 Moved to Sydney in 86 from Gladstone Started a job in 88 that lasted 26 years Hooked up with my future wife in 89 Still married to her

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

School, Fishing , Spearfishing, Rugby and the Beach was the early 80s

Never at home , always out doing something with friends.

Girls at the beaches were topless 😍😍😍😍😍 and little bay in the nick 🤩

It was a great era

• Like 1

1986 my first new boat 18ft shark cat

.game fishing from a 28 berty with botany bay game fishing club our boat won other gamefish trophy 3 years in a row mostly yellowfin there were lots out at the shelf.loved catching the 30kg ones on 12lb line some days there would be acers of them all round the boat feeding on pillies mostly 15-20kgs good to eat that size

Mate, I was married in 1980 and coming up for 40 years September next year. We have four grandchildren who will never experience what I did as a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's. As a kid I would ride my bike everywhere without any worries of road rage or getting caught using my mobile phone while riding.

I actually feel sorry for the kids of today as their life is constant video games and social media bullshit!

Yeah I am old school and proud of it and would not change a thing in what we did bringing up our kids but as sad as it is to say it will be lost on their children.

However the 80's was a good era to raise your children and I am very proud of how they have turned out the rest is upto them.

Anyway enough of this crap get out there and take your kids fishing it is one thing we can all share together.

Tight lines..

The Skipper

• Like 5