Who remembers the good old 80's

Fab1

I was only a junior burger in the 80s, but i remember footy players were tough as nails and still worked as chippies or garbos during the week. I was tought to fish by my grandfather who would drag me down the rocks at south whale beach. I remember watching my grandfather land a 20kg Longtail after a 40 minute battle, no phones to take photos just awesome memories. 

Cheers Scotty 

• 2 weeks later...

For me The beginning of the 80’s Was the start of a plumbing career as an apprentice & being obsessed with fishing, packing the panel van with mates, camping gear, & fishing gear every long weekend or holidays & free camping up the coast as far as crescent head or there abouts (eleven hours on the old highway in those days, did it in 9 a couple of times) seeing my first free jumping marlin off the rocks at Catherine hill & when not camping fishing 3 to 4 nights a week & most weekends weather permitting, loved fishing on overcast drizzling days because they were on the chew where as my mates hated getting wet. Playing  soccer, partying & burning the candle at both ends, the old shaggin wagon with its comfy mattress 6 speakers and lit up graphic equaliser pioneer of course, was one of the best cars I’ve owned, it was like my own mobile bedroom with an awesome sound system, there was nothing better than fishing the ocean rocks in the middle of no where listening to the who, stones or zeppelin cranking. Even slept in it a few times down in Thredbo when I was into skiing. 
Ah the good old days

Edited by 61 crusher

80's to me was about hard graft and raising the family.  On the recreational side spending time with the kids when I had the odd day off work,fishing - mainly fly fishing for trout in those days the playing darts for the local pub team.

This is me back in about 82/3 showing our son how to do "joiney up" writing in the sand 🤣🤣

http://eEfsBjW.jpg

John

• Haha 2

During much of the 80s, I was travelling. After a 60+ day round Australia trip in 1983 by Ansett Pioneer coach and hitch hiking, I got the travel bug. In early ‘84, I quit my job - I was supposed to head to Western Australia in a Landrover with a guy I knew from Wollongong Sportfishing Club to fish Carnarvon, Exmouth, Shark Bay etc. but 2 days before we were due to go, he pulled up outside my home, saying he’d got a job with BHP in Newcastle (he was a boilermaker) and it was too good to pass up. As I had sold my 4WD, I decided to hitchhike but headed north. Caught the train to Berowra, stuck out my thumb and never looked back. The new plan was to head to North Queensland and try and get work on a prawn boat in the Gulf of Carpentaria, then eventually try and get a job as a deckie on a marlin boat in Cairns. However, I got as far as Noosa and liked it so much, I stayed there for about 9 or 10 months. Then I hitched north and west through Qld to places like Childers (slept under a Lutheran Church), Rockhampton, Barcaldine,  Longreach, Winton etc. After spending a couple of weeks working on a water drilling rig near Winton and Hughenden, I jumped a goods train from Richmond and rolled into Mt Isa early next morning. From there, I hitchhiked to Tennant Creek and Alice Springs. In Alice Springs I visited the CES office and they put me on a bus to Yulara for an interview for a job at the (then) Sheraton Hotel Ayers Rock. I spent almost a year there, where I met many foreign travellers and in May ‘86, I flew home to Sydney and  booked a one way flight to England with stopovers in New Zealand (one month), Fiji, Hawaii, LA (spent a month in mainland USA), then Vancouver (a month in BC, then 11 months working at Sunshine Village Ski Resort, Bannf),  then to London and I spent 6 months doing bar work in Buckinghamshire, before returning home for Christmas 1987. Was intending to return to Ayers Rock for a staff reunion in October ‘88 but I joined Australia Post in March ‘88, where I met my future wife and the rest is history. I worked 24 years with Post before taking redundancy and have been married 30 years, this October gone. I look back on the 80s with fond memories indeed!

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 4

On 10/22/2019 at 6:51 PM, Waza said:

School, Fishing , Spearfishing, Rugby and the Beach was the early 80s

Never at home , always out doing something with friends.

Girls at the beaches were topless 😍😍😍😍😍 and little bay in the nick 🤩

It was a great era

Ah Little Bay in the late 1970's to mid 1980's...many a time I would stumble "literally" across a tanning body or 2 moving around the spots between the Gutter and Greeny...back in the days when Prince Henry Hospital was open and the nurses accommodation was open.

As it turns out the nurses building has been replaced by an over 55's apartments where my Mum happens to be living now. We lived on the main drag when we first moved to Sydney in mid 70's....so she  gone full circle now......

Little Bay Beach amd surrounds has become very family orientated now also...

Jim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jot said:

Ah Little Bay in the late 1970's to mid 1980's...many a time I would stumble "literally" across a tanning body or 2 moving around the spots between the Gutter and Greeny...back in the days when Prince Henry Hospital was open and the nurses accommodation was open.

As it turns out the nurses building has been replaced by an over 55's apartments where my Mum happens to be living now. We lived on the main drag when we first moved to Sydney in mid 70's....so she  gone full circle now......

Little Bay Beach amd surrounds has become very family orientated now also...

Jim

Hey @jot1975 I was a student nurse there at PHH and lived in. We called it the Nurses Beach and we all sunbaked, drank and did lots of stuff there when off duty. Here is a pic of the nurses accom and beach views. 

phh.jpg

• Like 1

Mrs Swordfisherman....my parents ran the convenience/subnewsagent/sandwich shop opposite the main gates of the hospital on Anzac Pde. I was in year 11 at Matraville High....going down to the several spots around Little Bay was always a good relaxation time while studying and working in the shop...the fishing now is a lot different and fish are getting scarce

Jim

So many memories of the "good old days" surfing trips in cars that were lucky to make it around the block, let alone a long trip, things seemed so much safer and easier back then, not too sure it was safer, but we all survived, so it must have been, no mobile phones, internet or other technology to bother you. My mate and I did a trip from Wollongong to north of Cairns in a EJ Holden Ute, we got a broken windscreen near a place called Sarina in QLD and being young and silly, instead of just driving slowly, we stopped and I hitched into Rockhampton to buy a second hand windscreen from the wreckers, I found one and started hitching back to the car, a guy on a motor bike picked me up, and I had to hold the windscreen on the back, and hang on at the same time, anything over about 30mph, it was like a plane wing and near flew me off the bike! we fitted the screen ourself on the side on the road and continued on our way, next to no money, no real plans, but, we made it to Cooktown, turned around and came back, seems kind of silly now, but at the time, it was an adventure.

I just got my licence and bought a Morris Minor. A mate and I decided to go to Dubbo for a drive. We came into Molong and the floods were full on. AS we drove over the Molong bridge it collasped behind us, we kept going. We arrived at Dubbo surruonded in water. We turned around and headed for for home,only to get caught up in more floods. We parked on the Hwy for 18 hours no where to go. The Army ended up rescuing us.

10 hours ago, jot said:

Mrs Swordfisherman....my parents ran the convenience/subnewsagent/sandwich shop opposite the main gates of the hospital on Anzac Pde. I was in year 11 at Matraville High....going down to the several spots around Little Bay was always a good relaxation time while studying and working in the shop...the fishing now is a lot different and fish are getting scarce

Jim

Oh Jim I remember that shop so well. I used to go in there and get little jars of vegemite, peanut butter, bread and marg for toast when I lived in. 
Maybe you even served me! Small world. 

In the 70's and 80's, jewfish were a pest at night, fishing in the deep water out from Lilli Pilli and further up stream. Some nights they came on the bite just on dark, and the school would swim up under the boat, sitting about 15 feet deep. You could not get a bait past them, making it impossible to try and hook something else.

Only schoolies from 2 to 6 pound, all that was needed was a small strip of any type of fish.

The most my mate and I caught was 42 in one night, other times from 20 to 30. Did not keep them all, a couple for a feed and a few to swap with the neighbours for goods - legs of lamb, chops, steaks, eggs and one lady always made me a double layered chocolate cake.:banana:

16 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Oh Jim I remember that shop so well. I used to go in there and get little jars of vegemite, peanut butter, bread and marg for toast when I lived in. 
Maybe you even served me! Small world. 

👍