Humane ways to dispatch fish

Oz98

I'd like to see a taste test done where one fish is killed one way and another the other way of the same species.I bet not many people would taste the difference.But in reality you have a 50/50 chance of picking the ike-jimne method i guess and believing that tastes better just because you picked it.

My brother in-law is a better fisherman than me and ike-jimne his flathead etc and to me they taste the same as mine that i put to sleep in icy water then fillet and cook.

Maybe i have shit taste buds don't know. 

• Haha 1

If you're eating the fish sashimi you will notice... if your frying, deep frying, baking, it's hardly noticeable.

Talking about taste. I feed some people wirra cod the other day. They thought it was the best tasting fish from a selection of flathead, bream and whiting...

Not many people know that if handle the fish properly it taste great. It's a Cod after all

Just now, connico said:

If you're eating the fish sashimi you will notice... if your frying, deep frying, baking, it's hardly noticeable.

Talking about taste. I feed some people wirra cod the other day. They thought it was the best tasting fish from a selection of flathead, bream and whiting...

Not many people know that if handle the fish properly it taste great. It's a Cod after all

Are you talking about Wirrah aka plastic old boot? 😂😂

1 minute ago, GoingFishing said:

Are you talking about Wirrah aka plastic old boot? 😂😂

yeah it's amazing how everyone mishandles the fish lol

actually its amazing how other fishos pass on false information just because they don't know how to handle a wirrah cod... no one I have talked to had eaten wirrah, they heard it from someone that heard it from someone.. lol

Edited by connico

24 minutes ago, connico said:

yeah it's amazing how everyone mishandles the fish lol

actually its amazing how other fishos pass on false information just because they don't know how to handle a wirrah cod... no one I have talked to had eaten wirrah, they heard it from someone that heard it from someone.. lol

You got me there....iv never actually tried to eat a Wirrah. But there seemed to be an overwhelming indication from alot of people who had tried it that i wud be in for a nasty surprise !!!!! 

7 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

You got me there....iv never actually tried to eat a Wirrah. But there seemed to be an overwhelming indication from alot of people who had tried it that i wud be in for a nasty surprise !!!!! 

Poor handling... The reason why it taste like old boot is the slim or slick on its skin. Most fisho's will kill it, fillet and take the skin off on the same surface. The slim will he get on the flesh and you're farked. Its like fish guts and the contents of the stomach getting on the flesh. Don't throw the fish in a salt water slurry as well as it contaminates the other fish.

So you need to kill it humanly, scrap slime off and wash the fish before you fillet.

12 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I'd like to see a taste test done where one fish is killed one way and another the other way of the same species.I bet not many people would taste the difference.But in reality you have a 50/50 chance of picking the ike-jimne method i guess and believing that tastes better just because you picked it.

My brother in-law is a better fisherman than me and ike-jimne his flathead etc and to me they taste the same as mine that i put to sleep in icy water then fillet and cook.

Maybe i have shit taste buds don't know. 

Depends mostly on the fish,  a lot of old timer  fisherman passed down just icing without iki or bleeding to the younger people and only recently people have picked up proper dispatching.  The most common and table eating fish are actually the fish that require the least amount of dispatching. Most notably flathead, snapper, bream and whiting. 

Sometimes you hear the term trash fish. That is far from the truth, 95% of fish species taste alright if prepared and cooked properly.

I mean bonito, trevally, Australian Salmon all very palatable fish. Unfortunately, a lot of people consider them trash fish because they are not dispatched properly. All those fish have to be bled and killed immediately. Then cooked or eaten a specific way. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kevwing said:

Depends mostly on the fish,  a lot of old timer  fisherman passed down just icing without iki or bleeding to the younger people and only recently people have picked up proper dispatching.  The most common and table eating fish are actually the fish that require the least amount of dispatching. Most notably flathead, snapper, bream and whiting. 

Sometimes you hear the term trash fish. That is far from the truth, 95% of fish species taste alright if prepared and cooked properly.

I mean bonito, trevally, Australian Salmon all very palatable fish. Unfortunately, a lot of people consider them trash fish because they are not dispatched properly. All those fish have to be bled and killed immediately. Then cooked or eaten a specific way. 

Totally agree but unfortunately we are spoilt for options here whether better or not is debatable.

Even a lot of what we call 'bait' fish like slimies, mullet, pilchards (or anything in the herring family) etc are all well sort after in other countries.

This summer my mission going to try as many bycatch or 'trash' species I can in various was, smoked, ceviche, crumbed & fried, sashimi.

I have been told trevally makes excellent sashimi but I have always just throw them back because I guess its has been passed down to me that they are just a non eating fish.

Probably only 1 fish I will give a miss, never heard a good thing about the old Sargent Baker although it could be just about the bones more than anything?

Edited by kingie chaser

Grilled sardines-aka Pillies- delicious

European Mackeral-aka-slimies-very good grilled filets

sgt BAker- too many bones but they taste fine

red rock cod-taste very good but too many bones and spikes for me

sweep-big ones taste fine, but complete pain to filet and skin- very tough skin

trevally- very good sashimi

bonito- very good in all sorts of ways

kings- back in the day plenty of people i knew wouldnt eat them (dry out very easily if overcooked) but they are good too1

I reckon snapper and bream are very overrated as eating fish and generally wont eat either these days- personal taste is interesting but the key to it all is look after your catch

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Totally agree but unfortunately we are spoilt for options here whether better or not is debatable.

Even a lot of what we call 'bait' fish like slimies, mullet, pilchards (or anything in the herring family) etc are all well sort after in other countries.

This summer my mission going to try as many bycatch or 'trash' species I can in various was, smoked, ceviche, crumbed & fried, sashimi.

I have been told trevally makes excellent sashimi but I have always just throw them back because I guess its has been passed down to me that they are just a non eating fish.

Probably only 1 fish I will give a miss, never heard a good thing about the old Sargent Baker although it could be just about the bones more than anything?

Mate, Trevally is amazing eating.

I myself was like that. My mates kept telling me that trevally is excellent eating.

I found out the reason it didn't taste good was quite simple. I didn't kill them fast enough and bleed them well.

If you don't bleed or kill properly, The toxins/blood give this really strong fishy taste.

Sashimi Trevally is quite good, unfortunately because i had so many bad experiences with trevally's fishy taste due to poor preparation it gives me a bit of trauma when eating it.

However, Trevally is crazy good for crumbing and deepfrying. Trevally is a very firm fish and excellent for deep frying.. As long as you eat it after frying, it will be moist and top notch. Don't over cook or leave it out for too long as it will get dry over time.

Trevally can also be smoked but i have yet to try.

• Like 1

Oh yeah mullet- fresh off the beach (a pro netter showed me this and its damn good), fillet or "split" and butterfly- equal parts brown sugar and salt rubbed over scaled fish and cook on open fire on a stick or in one of those fish griller things

11 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Grilled sardines-aka Pillies- delicious

European Mackeral-aka-slimies-very good grilled filets

sgt BAker- too many bones but they taste fine

red rock cod-taste very good but too many bones and spikes for me

sweep-big ones taste fine, but complete pain to filet and skin- very tough skin

trevally- very good sashimi

bonito- very good in all sorts of ways

kings- back in the day plenty of people i knew wouldnt eat them (dry out very easily if overcooked) but they are good too1

I reckon snapper and bream are very overrated as eating fish and generally wont eat either these days- personal taste is interesting but the key to it all is look after your catch

Agree for all above there PaddyT. 

I do not like bream because it's has generally less meat than other fish.

With snapper I don't like the taste but then when ever dad comes from fishing with some nice extremely fresh snapper I will eat it. 

Taste a thousands times  better than the snapper from the markets stated as fresh... 

12 hours ago, Kevwing said:

100% mate 

I love all the those fish stated as trash fish!

who said trevally was not good enough eating?!

try again! 

10 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Oh yeah mullet- fresh off the beach (a pro netter showed me this and its damn good), fillet or "split" and butterfly- equal parts brown sugar and salt rubbed over scaled fish and cook on open fire on a stick or in one of those fish griller things

* Salivates intensely 

22 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Oh mate, you should try tailor with cumin and salt with the same method. Damn tasty.

Sometimes people don't like the skin though it can taste a bit metallic.

3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Ahh no- i reckon tailor taste like c!@# no matter how ive tried to cook it!

Yeh, its understandable.

Usually if i catch tailor, i bleed an snap the neck immediately. 

Make sure to let it bleed out.

Now tailor have a metallic taste to it. There a few things that help remove that taste but its hard to say whether it will remove it all.

Some people try lemon after bbq, or soy sauce.
Even smoking with lemon may be an option.

But who knows, maybe your taste buds are extra sensitive to metallic flavours (like rare meat)

• 9 months later...

I used to be a longliner so this can get technical with pressure bleeding etc. But for the average joe a whack over the head with a bat to start. brain spike if u can and then DONT cut their throats, Lift the gill plate and slice strait thru one whole set of gills. then put in water bucket or over side on rope for ten mins to bleed out (mind the makos and crocs), then into ice slurry.

Cutting their throats cuts both sides of the pump.(heart)

Next time you 2 tailor or kingfish cut ones throat and the other cut the gills. When you fillet it you will see the difference in meat appearance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2