Humane ways to dispatch fish

Oz98

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:42 AM, davostephens82 said:

a whack over the head with a bat to start. brain spike if u can and then DONT cut their throats, Lift the gill plate and slice strait thru one whole set of gills. then put in water bucket or over side on rope for ten mins to bleed out 

Cutting their throats cuts both sides of the pump.(heart)

Does the heart keep pumping after the brain spike??

On 12/4/2018 at 5:35 PM, savit said:

I would agree with fish condition difference. However who cleans the caught fish 48hrs later ???

Aging fish is a thing :P

51 minutes ago, seasponge said:

Basically no, immediate death. The fish relaxes and stops all motion.

Edited by connico

2 hours ago, seasponge said:

You could ikijime the spine before the heart and keep the heart pumping or you could place the fish upside down in the sand or hanging off the wharf tied to a piece of string and the gravity will drain the blood for you.

10 hours ago, seasponge said:

Heart will continue to  pump for 5 mins or so, gradualy getting erratic and weaker.

Nerve pulses continue. we would bat them over the nose to stun, then cut a small scallop between the eyes to expose the spinal chord... Then run 5 foot of stainless wire or thick mono down the inside of the spinal chord to the tail  to totaly nerve kill the fish, However the heart keeps pumping. Muscle memory, I dunno.. But thats what happens

Ive pulled hundreds of tuna, marlin etc hearts out after brain spike and they pump for ages.

We would nick under each pec fin then 2 nicks next to the 3rd last little yellow fin on bottom of fish, Then lift Gill and put a slice in the membrame and shove a sea water hose in and pressureize the internals and force all the blood out until water came out the holes,

But as we all dont have water pressure on board the next best thing is to cut thru one set of gills. The heart will keep directing blood to the gills to be re oxygenated but as their cut the fish bleeds out real quick. So put them in sea water to begin with fro 5-10 ins, so the blood dosnt congeal, then into ice slurry

Interestingly an initiation for new crew was to bite into nand swallow a chunk of the pumping heart of the tuna, they didnt know it but you receive a whack of adrenaline from it, Actualy  it is a JAP delicatesy if you have one onboard to offer fine slithers of the heart , Cut whilst still pumping and serve, yum...  bleeerrrrrr if u know better, they eat toadfish too remeber... each to their own.

Edited by davostephens82
  • Like 1

Hey Raiders 

Like many I use the Ikijime plus bleed approach for the common catches destined as table fare.

However I feel I have struggled when trying to handle larger predators also destined to be eaten  eg a meter plus Mako. 

What is the consensus on how to handle and humanely dispatch something like that?

cheers Zoran 

I have a chart showing where to brain spike different species, however I still find I'm spiking several times without any sign of effect and some times totally giving up and going for the pectoral cut and bleed and throat cut ( tuna ).

A simple ice slurry seems to settle fish as quick as kill attempts, just like the comercial fish that are caught and sold ( they don't kill or bleed the table fish sold in fish shops ).

Edited by JonD

22 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Raiders 

Like many I use the Ikijime plus bleed approach for the common catches destined as table fare.

However I feel I have struggled when trying to handle larger predators also destined to be eaten  eg a meter plus Mako. 

What is the consensus on how to handle and humanely dispatch something like that?

cheers Zoran 

I have a club for mako which I stun them with before a few photos, then cut deeply through the back of the head and spine ( photos first as they look awful with a big cut in the head). By the way I don't keep sharks anymore for several reasons. Makos can often have a habit of springing back to life so take care with them. Even things like lively kingfish can be hard and messy to try and handle and kill, hence why they go straight into the ice bag, leaving me to get back into them as quick as poss before I lose the school.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jon... ikijime has been pretty consistent for me. @Scienceman posted links to charts previously and there is also an App i have on the iPhone which has been handy.  I now notice that fish like bluespot flathead have a marking right where the ikijime needs to go. 

29 minutes ago, JonD said:

I have a club for mako which I stun them with ...... then cut deeply through the back of the head and spine ...... 

Regarding sharks that's pretty much what I do. They are so unpredictable..  Its interesting enough when they're hooked up with their aerial acrobatics (always scared they will end up in the boat) and even once they are gaffed alongside the boat they go into that frenzy, crazy thrashing, snapping teeth mode. .. I don't like to flick them into the boat at this stage so I hang over the side, risking fingers and limbs to use the  3/4 pick handle club and to get the knife close enough to cut.  At this time most of the crew are usually at the other end of the boat so I am solo.

31 minutes ago, JonD said:

Makos can often have a habit of springing back to life so take care with them.

...and that's exactly what has been my experience.  ....  they come back to life!

The last one I hooked up after subduing as above, I tailed with some rope and hung off the stern bollard while it bled out. 30min later it came back to life for another thrashing session - the gel coat in that area is still dull. Left it another 30min and then put it in the ice slurry. At any time it could have been taken by another bigger model...which could have caused more dramas.   

Back in the day folks used to carry 303s and powerheads, but those days are long gone.   So I'm  just after experiences looking for a better, quicker more humane way to dispatch sharks that I intend to serve up?

Cheers Zoran