Braid line on roller tip game setups

feralcat

A bit of wisdom please......

I am pretty new to game fishing.

Target species....tuna. 

I have recently bought a couple of TLD 50s and a three TLD 25s 

Was thinking of pairing the 50s with  shimano back one elite 24kg rods, either fully rollered or roller tipped. 

And similar 15 kg rods for the 25s. 

My main question is.......

I was thinking of putting 50lb braid on the 50s with around 100m of mono.......similarly with the 25s using 15kg line. 

My thinking for doing this was as follows.

Firstly line capacity.

Secondly the thinner dimensions of the braid travel through the water better when you have a lot of line out. 

My concern is my choice or rod guides. 

Are the backbone rods rollers suitable for braid or should I go for non roller guides. 

Appreciate your help and feedback.....cheers

The main advantage of doing what you propose is to save money in the long run if you are fishing tournaments etc with a massive number of line changes . For normal fishing a "topshot" system will cost a heck of a lot of money up front to fill those reels with braid- why are you worried about line capacity, tuna fights are generally straight up and down? IMHO the backbone elites are too soft for trolling lures- you want to use a 24-37kg rod for 24kg line not a 15-24kg rod. If you are going to use a topshot- how confidant will you be when your knot goes for a swim?

Braid is fine on rollered rods  keep your rod pointed at line and straight  no probs   if chasin marlin use plenty of mono as topshot to take away the headshakes when jumping  mono gives a good shock absorber  i use 70 to 80mtrs 24kg on top of braid  hope you get some

On 12/2/2018 at 1:24 PM, PaddyT said:

The main advantage of doing what you propose is to save money in the long run if you are fishing tournaments etc with a massive number of line changes . For normal fishing a "topshot" system will cost a heck of a lot of money up front to fill those reels with braid- why are you worried about line capacity, tuna fights are generally straight up and down? IMHO the backbone elites are too soft for trolling lures- you want to use a 24-37kg rod for 24kg line not a 15-24kg rod. If you are going to use a topshot- how confidant will you be when your knot goes for a swim?

Thanks for your thoughts, yes line capacity is a major consideration for me. Where I plan to fish the odd barrel is more than likely to turn up, so as my gear isnt "top of the range" I thought going a bit easier on the drag with the TLDs may be a reasonable option, especially knowing I have a bit of line to work with? That may be a naive thought???

Im pretty confident in my knots, I can only hope that a decent fish jumps on to test them. I have tested a few knots that I have tied, but that wont be anything like trying to subdue a big fish.

On 12/2/2018 at 2:19 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

Braid is fine on rollered rods  keep your rod pointed at line and straight  no probs   if chasin marlin use plenty of mono as topshot to take away the headshakes when jumping  mono gives a good shock absorber  i use 70 to 80mtrs 24kg on top of braid  hope you get some

I have spooled one reel up with braid and a mono topshot, the others are all mono at this stage, will have to see how it goes. I am targeting Tuna, so hopefully my gear will be ok. cheers

1 hour ago, feralcat said:

Thanks for your thoughts, yes line capacity is a major consideration for me. Where I plan to fish the odd barrel is more than likely to turn up, so as my gear isnt "top of the range" I thought going a bit easier on the drag with the TLDs may be a reasonable option, especially knowing I have a bit of line to work with? That may be a naive thought???

Im pretty confident in my knots, I can only hope that a decent fish jumps on to test them. I have tested a few knots that I have tied, but that wont be anything like trying to subdue a big fish.

Ahh ok didnt see you are in Tasmania, stick to the TLD 50's, leave the 25's at home, some of those SBT's you guys get are big! However keep in mind you are better off keeping on top of them using the boat rather than fighting from a stationary boat- the rollers on those rods arent great either and need a fair whack of maintainenece to keep them moving.

We use braid on game outfits for chassing broadbill, not had issues with it jambing in the rollers, there are new rollers designed for braid.

Braid capacity on a 50w would have to be 1200-1500m 65lb in my opinion. I also use braid on heavy spin gear for game species, with a mono topsho of at last 50m.

Edited by JonD

Gday JonD

I have actually bought a fin nor offshore 7500 reel for my spin outfit......haven't used it yet but the reviews on them are great. 

I loaded it with braid and a 50m mono topshot.

The one TLD50 I spooled, fitted about 1100m braid with close to 100m mono topshot, so your estimation would be pretty right running a shorter 50m topshot.

I have decided to run a bit of a mix. 

A couple of outfits will be braid/mono....the others all mono....will see how they compare. 

Just have to find the fish now.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:32 AM, PaddyT said:

Ahh ok didnt see you are in Tasmania, stick to the TLD 50's, leave the 25's at home, some of those SBT's you guys get are big! However keep in mind you are better off keeping on top of them using the boat rather than fighting from a stationary boat- the rollers on those rods arent great either and need a fair whack of maintainenece to keep them moving.

Thanks for the advice PaddyT.

In the past I have caught a good few school fish in the 6-15 kg bracket.....it will be a whole different story if we manage to snag a decent fish.