Nice flatty released on the Georges

jenno64

Hit the river this morning at 7am to catch the middle of the run out with a few livies in search of a jew or flatty. Once I was set up I realised I left my lifejacket at home 😢  and after watching the previous night's news and realising the river would be full of cops on jetskis and maritime boats, I decided to ask one of the waterfront owners to borrow one for the day, which worked out well, thanks Rocky! 

Dropped my poddy trap in and prospected with a blade and a diver over the flats but things were pretty quiet. Came back to check the trap and found a few nice 120mm poddies and a few smaller ones so it was out to the spot and down with the baits. First drift saw one of the rods get some attention with some nervous twitches and the first bait had been kidnapped.

Next drift saw a good bend in the rod and I was on with some good head shakes. Soon after a very fit and long flatty slipped into the net but a vertical launch and death roll somehow "high sticked" my rod and it was RIP T-Curve😱, this rod had accounted for some very good fish over the past 5 years including my metre jew a few weeks ago! I managed to lip grip the girl and slide her onto the hull of the yak before pedalling over for a release video.

On the lie detector she just tipped 80cm and I slipped her back into the water for a nice release, including a bit of acrobatics through a branch in the water.

Had another drift and a large poddie was mauled by what I think was a jew that grabbed it tentatively and let go leaving a crush mark and a fair few scales missing.

The big westerly hit about midday and it was time to pack it in. Now for some rod shopping.😏

IMG_4266 (2).JPG

IMG_4267 (2).JPG

IMG_4298 (2).JPG

• Like 10

Good lizard once again mate, good size and hats off fir the release !

I still haven't had a flick this season, hopefully after santa arrives I'll get out there. 

Wel done👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

16 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice, healthy looking flatty there.

Shame about the old faithful rod. Any ideas what you're going to replace it with?

Just bought a Miller inshore barra rod for my new stradic so won't be shopping for a while but I have a couple of beefy replacements that are one piece and long buts, not so good for the yak but should do the job:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Just bought a Miller inshore barra rod for my new stradic so won't be shopping for a while but I have a couple of beefy replacements that are one piece and long buts, not so good for the yak but should do the job:)

Those Millers look real nice. One of my local stores stocks them and I'll be checking them out next time I'm in there for sure. As for the beefy replacement, nothing a hacksaw and a bit of epoxy can't fix.

Nice mate I’ve recently just started fishing the George’s on a kayak was looking into mullet traps to start fishing with livies good to know it’s accessible from the same river I fish! What part of the river do you usually fish mate?

On 12/2/2018 at 9:40 PM, jenno64 said:

Hit the river this morning at 7am to catch the middle of the run out with a few livies in search of a jew or flatty. Once I was set up I realised I left my lifejacket at home 😢  and after watching the previous night's news and realising the river would be full of cops on jetskis and maritime boats, I decided to ask one of the waterfront owners to borrow one for the day, which worked out well, thanks Rocky! 

Dropped my poddy trap in and prospected with a blade and a diver over the flats but things were pretty quiet. Came back to check the trap and found a few nice 120mm poddies and a few smaller ones so it was out to the spot and down with the baits. First drift saw one of the rods get some attention with some nervous twitches and the first bait had been kidnapped.

Next drift saw a good bend in the rod and I was on with some good head shakes. Soon after a very fit and long flatty slipped into the net but a vertical launch and death roll somehow "high sticked" my rod and it was RIP T-Curve😱, this rod had accounted for some very good fish over the past 5 years including my metre jew a few weeks ago! I managed to lip grip the girl and slide her onto the hull of the yak before pedalling over for a release video.

On the lie detector she just tipped 80cm and I slipped her back into the water for a nice release, including a bit of acrobatics through a branch in the water.

Had another drift and a large poddie was mauled by what I think was a jew that grabbed it tentatively and let go leaving a crush mark and a fair few scales missing.

The big westerly hit about midday and it was time to pack it in. Now for some rod shopping.😏

IMG_4266 (2).JPG

IMG_4267 (2).JPG

IMG_4298 (2).JPG

Nice mate I’ve recently just started fishing the George’s on a kayak was looking into mullet traps to start fishing with livies good to know it’s accessible from the same river I fish! What part of the river do you usually fish mate?

Thats a nice big girl!

You seem to do well using the poddies. I struggle to get any in my trap. Can you give any tips on catching them i.e. what sort of trap you use, how deep do you set it - that sort of thing?

Cheers

Fil