Keve707

WORMING FIRST ATTEMPT- FAIL

Recommended Posts

Went worming today at Narrabeen and long reef

Think I saw one worm come up then gone... I feel these beaches were too steep though no sand flats.

Anyone care to share a locations??

Kev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Narrabeen beach has worms. Try Devitt  street carpark right out front

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a pro wormer but i'd say i'm okay

Don't fret too much, just be patient. 

It takes a lot of patience to be good at worming. it took me maybe 5 sessions before i could bag 10-20 worms in a session

Just make sure low wind and tides are on point.

If not, for beginners it can be quite tough.

Also, i find the quiet areas are better as they tend to not spook too easily. 

Good stink bag is important too. you really need their head to come out 1cm or more to get a good grip

Edited by Kevwing
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 6 pilchards in a stocking..

should I have something more??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not enough bait  not smelly enough  something rotten like old stingrays are best  if not let some frames n heads go off a bit then seal in large tupperware container and freeze...also i use finger bait in peice of stocking  the worms jaws get caught in it making them easier to catch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Not enough bait  not smelly enough  something rotten like old stingrays are best  if not let some frames n heads go off a bit then seal in large tupperware container and freeze...also i use finger bait in peice of stocking  the worms jaws get caught in it making them easier to catch

Thanks for your reply mate.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keve707 said:

I had 6 pilchards in a stocking..

should I have something more??

that should be fine, where they real soft and smelly and real soft? If not they need to be...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found that in Sydney, you need way stinkier bait.

I use to do that up in Coffs with a bag of pillies but in Sydney it just isn't enough because a lot of areas are wormed out. A pilly stink bag just isn't enough to bring out a heap and see where they are. Per a square Metre the amount of worms is less in Sydney and you need to cover more ground.

Some of the best things to use is like Jewfish skin or old fish carcass, I even braved the smell and dug out of the fish bins.. You really need something that has a good stink.

My mate use to use jewfish skin and left overs, let it simmer for a bit in the sun. Then he would take a piece of the belly as his teaser as it usually a bit rubbery and doesn't break up.

I know the old timers find a stingray or some other large fish leave it in the sand for a week and the worms go NUTS when it hits the water.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Not enough bait  not smelly enough  something rotten like old stingrays are best  if not let some frames n heads go off a bit then seal in large tupperware container and freeze...also i use finger bait in peice of stocking  the worms jaws get caught in it making them easier to catch

Thanks for your reply mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Keve

Learning to catch worms is on my bucket list, I've never really tried. I have watched heaps of videos, Manly seems to be one of the better beaches.

A stinking stingray does seem to be a favourite in the beachside camps at Crescent Head. You see them hanging from the trees, the guys use them for days, they just get smellier and smellier.

Maybe we could organise a Fishraider beach worming social/ tutorial this summer ?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Hey Keve

Learning to catch worms is on my bucket list, I've never really tried. I have watched heaps of videos, Manly seems to be one of the better beaches.

A stinking stingray does seem to be a favourite in the beachside camps at Crescent Head. You see them hanging from the trees, the guys use them for days, they just get smellier and smellier.

Maybe we could organise a Fishraider beach worming social/ tutorial this summer ?

Ryder I would be up for that for sure!!! Let’s make it happen I’m keen as.

Thanks for your reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If u have no success with your fingers try alvey graphite worming pliers  they dont have teeth like old pliers and dont kill the worms

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keve707 said:

So try catch a stingray fellas????

No not important... use pilchards in a stocking... failing that use prawn heads, failing that use mullet heads, guts etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keve707 said:

So try catch a stingray fellas????

Hahaha, nah no need

Just need  some stinky fish, longer its out the stinkier it is.

If you are lucky some fish stores may have some old fish they don't want.
If you have balls, go into some fish bin at the fillet stations.

Maybe if you swing by a fish market, look for the nastiest looking fish that is very cheap. (probably offloading because it is so old) Oily fish, strong odours are the way to go.

If you do want a stingray/ shark, Manly has some great rock hopping spots for that.. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tie your stink bag to your left foot if you are right handed (no really). Have another pilchard wrapped in a small piece of womens tights in your left hand and your worming pliers in your right hand. 

Walk the waters edge allowing wash to wash over the bag tied to your foot, watch for heads to pop up as the wave runs the smell back down to the waters edge. When you see a head pop up keep your left foot with the bag about 40cm above where you saw the worm. With the pilchard in the tights, tease it right on top of the worm and it should latch on quite hard. Gently raise the worms head enough to get a good grip with the worming pliers then gently pull, if you feel it contract pulling down don't pull until it releases its contraction or you may pull it in half.

The very bottom of the tide as it just turns to come back in has always been my best time for worms (I rarely collect them anymore as its to hard on my back).

If there is strong wind blowing I found worms don't seem to raise their heads, its also very difficult finding them after big storms and swell that move large amounts of sand about.

If you ever see the old stainless worming pliers anywhere for sale, grab them as they are far better for worming than the plastic ones, they can be very expensive on the second hand market (like finding gold). 

Step on the stink bag to allow more smell out of it every now and then, any oily bait or left over fish frame will do.

Once you have a few, head up the beach and dig a small hole to get to the cool damp sand underneath, then give each worm a quick clean and keep them in the fresh damp sand in a container. Heat kills them pretty quick, so if using them on a belt try to keep them on the shaded side of your body.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JonD said:

Tie your stink bag to your left foot if you are right handed (no really). Have another pilchard wrapped in a small piece of womens tights in your left hand and your worming pliers in your right hand. 

Walk the waters edge allowing wash to wash over the bag tied to your foot, watch for heads to pop up as the wave runs the smell back down to the waters edge. When you see a head pop up keep your left foot with the bag about 40cm above where you saw the worm. With the pilchard in the tights, tease it right on top of the worm and it should latch on quite hard. Gently raise the worms head enough to get a good grip with the worming pliers then gently pull, if you feel it contract pulling down don't pull until it releases its contraction or you may pull it in half.

The very bottom of the tide as it just turns to come back in has always been my best time for worms (I rarely collect them anymore as its to hard on my back).

If there is strong wind blowing I found worms don't seem to raise their heads, its also very difficult finding them after big storms and swell that move large amounts of sand about.

If you ever see the old stainless worming pliers anywhere for sale, grab them as they are far better for worming than the plastic ones, they can be very expensive on the second hand market (like finding gold). 

Step on the stink bag to allow more smell out of it every now and then, any oily bait or left over fish frame will do.

Once you have a few, head up the beach and dig a small hole to get to the cool damp sand underneath, then give each worm a quick clean and keep them in the fresh damp sand in a container. Heat kills them pretty quick, so if using them on a belt try to keep them on the shaded side of your body.

Thanks very much mate!! Great insight

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      65,579
    • Total Posts
      526,998