Prawning - South Coast

Kevwing

Hi guys

Long time reader, first time poster

I've been really trying to catch a good prawning session but haven't had much luck. Most i've caught is 2 kg between 2 people

I follow all the general ideas, slack high tide , New moon, (few days each side) low wind if possible - It is quite hard to marry all those together when you can only go on the weekend

i've tried the entrance (no luck unfortunately) and down at Culburra. (bit windy that day)

I'm planning to go back down again to Culburra

Asking if any fellow raiders here know if the lake has opened up and also, what would be the maximum wind speed for chasing prawns. (As i noticed the prawns are very timid when it is windy. )

If you can give me a hand it would be really appreciated.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure Lake Wollumboola at Culburra is still closed and will be for quite some time unless we get a hell of a lot of rain. The prawns were hit really hard in there last summer and won't recover until the lake opens again. Naturally a light wind is best but its protected when the Nor' East winds blow as long as you stay reasonably close to the shoreline. 

St Georges Basin offers decent prawning at times as well and there's miles of good flats to try.

8 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I'm pretty sure Lake Wollumboola at Culburra is still closed and will be for quite some time unless we get a hell of a lot of rain. The prawns were hit really hard in there last summer and won't recover until the lake opens again. Naturally a light wind is best but its protected when the Nor' East winds blow as long as you stay reasonably close to the shoreline. 

St Georges Basin offers decent prawning at times as well and there's miles of good flats to try.

Thanks GreenHornet

Oh that rings a bell, I remember reading some guys illegally hauled 100's of kg of prawns. literally a few weeks before i went prawning.
May have to think of plan B or cancel altogether the wind is about 15-20 knots NE now.. =/

But we may seem how that turns out.

I've never been to the Basin before. 

8 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Used to prawn at St.Georges basin when mum used to like there.

Some nights we would come home with a 10ltr bucket.

At times they run through the inlet there at Sussex but not sure on how the moon phase/timing works.

I used to live on the east side of the inlet and had my own wharf. Always did well on the prawns during the run out tide and dark moon just scooping them up from the wharf during the warmer months.

27 minutes ago, Kevwing said:

Thanks GreenHornet

Oh that rings a bell, I remember reading some guys illegally hauled 100's of kg of prawns. literally a few weeks before i went prawning.
May have to think of plan B or cancel altogether the wind is about 15-20 knots NE now.. =/

But we may seem how that turns out.

I've never been to the Basin before. 

Yeah, there we crowds coming down from Sydney in buses just to prawn the joint.

If you're coming from Sydney or Wollongong, the Basin is only about 10 minutes extra drive than Culburra and is always open to the ocean. Always a good alternative when Wollumboola has been raped clean.

Oh and by the way, both places aren't tidal so you don't need wait for a run out. If you didn't know already.

Edited by Green Hornet