Good day on the hacking!!

Caple666

Howdy guys 

Hit the hacking with my brother and father yesterday to test our luck. Launched my tinny at yowie bay at about 5.30. Ramp was packed already so im guessing everyone wanted to get a good fish in before the wind picked up at 11ish as did we.

First thing off to south west arm. Drifted from the ruins down the edge for abit. My brother and father are just bait fisherman  so they just had a prawn and a pillie on a paternoster rig while i flicked plastics for nil. The pinky snapper were everywhere as usual but no legal fish couple at 27-28cm. At around 8 tryed the other side of SWA across from the ruins. My dad got a massive whitting that went 38cm and my brother one just legal. I had been flicking a mix of plastics all morning for nil. 😣 

Knowing the the wind was close we headed back to around the mouth of yowie bay in about 13mt of water so we could head back in when it got nasty. Wanting to get a fish in the boat so i decided to throw my bait rig down with a pillie tail on it. No more than a min later i was on to a nice flatty 51cm and happy to have a fish in the boat 👍 if the flatty were biting should go back to plastics i thought so i chucked on my go to plastic a 4" burkley nemesis on a 1/6 jig head. I cast at a near by moored boat and my sp hit the hull and went straight down, just what i wanted. I lift my rod for the first jig and bang i was on zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, at first i was thinking it was a solid flatty but it was fighting way to hard. After about a 5-10 min fight i got to see colour, just what i was hoping it was....... a kingy, my first on sp and he had some mate with him probly 3-4 😁 so i quickly netted measured 60cm so a few pics and back in the drink he went. 

Resizer_15438224000030.png.87fd80feed07140db7f39c431ca961a1.png

Next cast same spot couple of jigs boom on again cheerin this one fights even harder than the king so im thinking a kingy but bit bigger for sure. After an awesome fight up comes a huge 53cm treavally 😲 never had i seen one so big. so excited high fives all around. Pic does this fish no justice!

Resizer_15438224000031.png.c8af6b0337b2924217a2b2935bfe8e18.png

Kept at it for another half hour or so for nil, the wind picked up so we headed for home. Back at the boat ramp at 12ish. Good day had by all 😁👍

Edited by Caple666
Add tags
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Not trying to be rude but how would u like someone smashin a jig head or sinker into the side of your boat..maybe u should try throwin close to boats and not damaging other peoples property  ...rick

I think he was trying to cast close and accidently gave it too much muscle Rick.For that reason you mention i just lob a  bait a good 10m short from boats even crappy ones as even they are someones pride and joy i guess.

Good report champ and as Rick mentioned try to leave yourself short from hitting peoples hulls.

Look forward to seeing more reports from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe but it sounded like that was what he was aiming for  this was a huge problem in lake mac a few years ago with guys chasin bream...people were gettin sick of stars in their fibreglass or paint chipping  its akin to goin bak to the ramp and findin a kid throwin rocks at your car....when someone states it hit the hull and went down  thats what i wanted  it sounds like its on purpose   the rest of the report is great and sounds like a fun trip...rick

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mitchie18092 said:

stonker trev! certainly pull hard once they get around that 45-50cm+ range.

sounds like a top day.

cheers mitchie! they certainly do........ alot more than i expected!!

11 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Sounds like a great day on the water, that's a horse trev !!! 

I find the larger trevs respond very well to plastics.

ive been on a bit of a drought most of the year so great day is an understatement lol 

i have only caught 1 other trev on plastics and it was around 45cm so i would have to agree!!

3 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

Nice fish mate.  I’ve yet to get a kingy on plastics.  Hoping to change that soon

Bear

thanks bear! keep at it you'll find them. they love moored boats. 

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Not trying to be rude but how would u like someone smashin a jig head or sinker into the side of your boat..maybe u should try throwin close to boats and not damaging other peoples property  ...rick

hey rick 

yes i stated that i hit the hull and thats because i did, doesnt mean i was aiming to hit the hull. i would never purposely cast my lure to hit the hull of someone elses boat. if it does hit the hull its the lightest hit as im aiming for the meter of water before the hull. that is a fair call though so ill take it on the chin and be a bit more careful next time. i could see how it would be a big issue with heaps of bream/any fisho casting at them all the time.

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I think he was trying to cast close and accidently gave it too much muscle Rick.For that reason you mention i just lob a  bait a good 10m short from boats even crappy ones as even they are someones pride and joy i guess.

Good report champ and as Rick mentioned try to leave yourself short from hitting peoples hulls.

Look forward to seeing more reports from you.

if im fishing bait with sinkers on i wouldnt be casting anywhere near the boat as i defiantly wouldnt want to hit the boat with the weight of a sinker. thanks fab1 im looking to do a heap of fishing this summer so there should be plenty more to come. 😁    

• Like 1