Tying FG Knot with DIY jig

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

Second post of the evening. Thought I'd share how I tie an FG knot (mono to braid, or Fluoro Carbon FC to braid)  using my DIY FG jig.   I had tied plenty of FGs using my hands, feet, teeth and struggled keeping tension so never quite felt comfortable the end product was secure. I looked at the $69.99 FG knot jogs and was tempted but thought is it really worth a good bottle of scotch.... NAH !  Anyway,  a few months ago I came up with the jig I show in the video - I have used it since and its been a gem.  

So sharing in the hope it helps some other Raider.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this, Zoran! I just haven’t got my head around the FG knot yet! I bought the FG Wizz tool but I have struggled to maintain the tension - it doesn’t help that I’m sometimes all thumbs! I like the idea of the clamps to help with maintaining the tension. To stop the tool moving around in the rod holder you could use a gimbal butt, ensuring you had a gimbal rod holder, of course.

8 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

To stop the tool moving around in the rod holder you could use a gimbal butt, ensuring you had a gimbal rod holder, of course

Thanks Baz. Yes thought about that but it would make the jig quite a bit larger.  I find it works well as is for me. It swivels around in the direction of pull and then stops. I’m sure others will modify to suit what works for them. 

Cheers Z

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 10:57 PM, Berleyguts said:

I just haven’t got my head around the FG knot yet! I bought the FG Wizz tool but I have struggled to maintain the tension - it doesn’t help that I’m sometimes all thumbs! I like the idea of the clamps to help with maintaining the tension.

Hi Baz, I have attached a sketch that hopefully explains how to start and complete most of the FG knot.  Hope that helps.

Cheers Z

B8A6131A-7D6D-47C6-ADAD-18FF050E6933.thumb.jpeg.6e6b54f40344ccbb7045c7da38c53aea.jpeg

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2

So I put up this DIY FG Knot Jig video about 20min after I posted the Paternoster Jig video ... and I was fully expecting that the FG would get much much more attention - I was so sure I would have put money on it ! .... 

But reality has shown that there is about 2x more interest and 3x more interaction on the paternoster !!! 

Stats, stats and more stats....

Cheers Z 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

So I put up this DIY FG Knot Jig video about 20min after I posted the Paternoster Jig video ... and I was fully expecting that the FG would get much much more attention - I was so sure I would have put money on it ! .... 

But reality has shown that there is about 2x more interest and 3x more interaction on the paternoster !!! 

Stats, stats and more stats....

Cheers Z 

Actually, I don’t understand the paternoster jig. 😳 I haven’t got my head around how you wrap the line. I’m sure I’d figure it out if I made one, though!

Hi Zoran, I use the FG knot all the time on my baitcast outfits and (naturally) was very interested in your post. I know lots of anglers who would wish to use it, but find it too difficult. Your clever device, easy to make and use, should help those anglers enjoy the benefits of the FG knot.

You are a very capable and creative teacher Zoran. The presentation is straightforward, easy to follow and it works. Top job. bn

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much BN! 

Just sharing what I have learnt or discovered - hoping it helps someone else. Just like so many do on this site ! 

“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” ―Winston S. Churchill

Cheers Zoran

13 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Actually, I don’t understand the paternoster jig. 😳 I haven’t got my head around how you wrap the line. I’m sure I’d figure it out if I made one, though!

I've added a diagram in the Paternoster post.

Cheers Z

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks so much BN! 

Just sharing what I have learnt or discovered - hoping it helps someone else. Just like so many do on this site ! 

“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” ―Winston S. Churchill

Cheers Zoran

Very appropriate quote Zoran. You keep giving mate and many others will keep benefitting. Cheers bn

• Thanks 1

I was the first like of the FG mate!

I would guess that paternoster will get move views because its a rig and not line joining. You would just uni knot your braid to a clip and then unit knot your  rig to a swivel and that's how you join them. I usually use a double unit when I am joining lines and that seems to work pretty well. I'll give the fg jig ago for sure

nice work mate!

• Thanks 1