What is this bar on my new boat???

Bobby.V

Hey guys,

Just bought my first boat. It's a pre-loved 3.7m tinnie.

It's painted with house paint so I'm going to strip it back to bare metal and repaint but I am not sure what this bar is? Can anyone shed some light? Haven't seen it on any other boats... 

It's riveted in to the hull. Pics below.

Thanks in advance

20180828_160350.jpg

20181208_154341-1152x864.jpg

20181208_154359-1152x864 (1).jpg

16 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Its a spray chine to deflect water away from hull

Okay cool. Is it necessary? Does it make a big difference? I've only got a 9.9hp on it so the boat won't be hammering along..

It's right in the way of the plans I have to paint and vinyl wrap the sides of the boat.. I'm considering removing it and plugging the holes with aluminium brazing rods.. 

Another option is removing those spray chines and painting/vinyl wrapping the hull then replacing them again.

I doubt if you completely removed them though you,d see much effect if any with such low hp fitted.

Personally,id do what i mentioned above.

7 hours ago, Bobby.V said:

I've only got a 9.9hp on it so the boat won't be hammering along..

Hey @Bobby.V have you taken her out on the water?  You may be surprised what your 9.9hp will do with a 3.7m tinnie (if correctly propped and trimmed). 

For comparison, I have a 15hp Aux on my 6.3m heavy fiberglass boat (with a  2500kg payload) and it will push me along at 10km/h.  You may be pleasantly surprised what the 9.9hp will do with your 3.7m tinnie (2-300kg payload).

I see that chine providing 3 functions -

i. given the T profile it would significantly strengthen/stiffed that part of the hull 

ii. it would act as a chine - providing additional lift 

iii. it would deflect spray

What ever you decide to do, I'd recommend it stays or is refitted after you wrap. 

Cheers Z

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Depends if you like gettin wet from spray when travelling cross wind  theyre there for a reason  not looks

Cool thanks everyone. I'll remove them for the paint/wrap then re-attach

12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey @Bobby.V have you taken her out on the water?  You may be surprised what your 9.9hp will do with a 3.7m tinnie (if correctly propped and trimmed). 

For comparison, I have a 15hp Aux on my 6.3m heavy fiberglass boat (with a  2500kg payload) and it will push me along at 10km/h.  You may be pleasantly surprised what the 9.9hp will do with your 3.7m tinnie (2-300kg payload).

I see that chine providing 3 functions -

i. given the T profile it would significantly strengthen/stiffed that part of the hull 

ii. it would act as a chine - providing additional lift 

iii. it would deflect spray

What ever you decide to do, I'd recommend it stays or is refitted after you wrap. 

Cheers Z

Nope haven't even taken her out yet. Got it yesterday. I'll take it for a spin this afternoon 

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Whats the boat anyway??

Looks like a Quintrex sportsman?

Not sure what it is. Rego papers just say Telwater but obviously they own 8 brands under them including Quintrex, Stacer, Savage.

It looks a little different to the Quintrex Sportsman. That has 2 ridges running alont the hull and mine only has 1.

Anyone have any idea what It could be?

Definately intended as a sprey chine but as it is riveted on I doubt it is original and my guess is its been added later in its life.  Thats a lot of holes to put in a boat with potential to create leeks and electrolysis.   Ron 

Looking at the spacing of the holes, I don’t think it was factory fitted. A past owner has added their own modification. You would have to question whether it does anything useful on that boat.

Take it for a test and decide for yourself if you want it on there. 

Just curious, is there a matching one on the opposite side?

On 12/11/2018 at 8:00 AM, zmk1962 said:

Hey @Bobby.V just wondering if you have had a chance to take her out on the water and how she performed with the 9.9hp.  That input would go a long way toward your decision I think. 

Cheers Z

The 9.9hp was very surprising! Got up on plane in a matter of seconds and just glided across the water beautifully. 

Didn't really notice the chines doing much.. although the water was quite calm when I took it out so they might do more in choppy weather

Well that’s a great start - happy for you. Correct trim and weight distribution has a lot of effect on getting on a plane. The chines would definitely help planing if you had weight in the forward section of the boat regardless if it was choppy or calm. They would help deflect spray in a chop. 

Thanks for posting back and best of luck with it. 

Cheers Zoran

Just trying to decide what to do with them when I vinyl wrap it...

I'll leave them on or re-fit, but I don't know if it'll be a mission to line rivet holes back up.. I used to wrap boats as a job so I'll see if I can slit the vinyl and wrap around the chines. It'll be a big mission but I'll keep everyone posted on the progress!

Got paint stripper sitting on the paint atm, gonna strip it back to bare alum. Then vinyl wrap, casting decks. sounder, trolling motor and she'll be ready for a sesh!