The kids are killing me

JonD

Let's head into the mountains my eldest suggested, only 7hrs of paddling "it'll be great"

So I get the small yak with a slow leak and a broken paddle and she gets the long sleek fast yak without a broken paddle. 

Anyway I have to admit the river inland from Tuross is pretty spectacular even though large parts have dried up. Dried up sections means constantly getting out of the yak to drag them over fallen trees or over stretches of rocks etc.

I didn't opt to fish and decided to help my daughter get more footage for her next YouTube video. The fishing was pretty quiet by usual standards with only around 10 for the day, most of which were taken on plastics.

Due to the dry sections of the river the 7hr trip turned into a back breaking 9hrs, back breaking from being stuck in the same position so long. The last two hours were trying to get back to our second car which had been left downstream, amazing how many big black snakes come out frog hunting in the dropping light.

Managed to see four platypus, one wombat, dozens of kingfishers and water dragons, though not quite sure I will go with her next time.

Anyone planning such trips be sure to check with land owners in these remote areas, some do not want anyone on their properties.

IMG_2164.JPG.095c876fa9f311a4d0103d7221e52555.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG.fbdb6ec02d5845166d77a527f3c773e1.JPGu

IMG_2168.thumb.JPG.5acee74373bced5f5a757654561d9ba5.JPG

IMG_2169.thumb.JPG.85a08617940629c8c89e32568cde1508.JPG

• Like 9

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Good warning jon  but  they cant stop u from traversing in the river   they may own the land either side but not the water

Yes that's correct but some think they own the water too. Trying to find launch sites gets tricky as most are on private land, luckily we've found one that allows us but we do need to check at the farm house each time.

You're a good Dad and obviously have a great relationship with your daughter.

I'm sure she'll pay for your chiropractor when she's older...

I was in SA in October (York Peninsular) and have never seen so many snakes in my life - browns, blacks and tigers.

Great pics as always.

Cheers

Fil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Quality time with your daughter Jon certainly not many fathers have built such a beautiful relationship with their children. 

Once the sore muscles heal up ul be left with a great memory.

The following day was spent out in the bush with my other daughter who's obsessed with snakes. It's good spending time with them but they are still kids who still get cranky with us parents just like any other kids.

17 minutes ago, JonD said:

The following day was spent out in the bush with my other daughter who's obsessed with snakes. It's good spending time with them but they are still kids who still get cranky with us parents just like any other kids.

Speaking as a young father... ( 3 yr old girl and 2 yr old boy).....they say you never fully appreciate your parents until you have children of your own ! Not because your a bad child or anything, but purely because you have to experience parenthood in order to fully appreciate how much work goes into raising children.

• Like 2