Cod fishing with Big neil

frankS

Hi all. Not a lot to report but a few lines on my adventures with Big Neil.

Headed down to Neil's place for the Cod opening, he had previously warned me that the water levels in the river was pretty low and my expectations wasn't great, anyhow we gave it a shot, launched the boat and headed down stream dodging sunken logs and on some occasions not dodging them, picked a nice looking spot that has produced before for Neil and soaked a couple of baits. Wasn't long before Neil had a very small Murray Cod in the boat which was quickly released, not long after I had my first Murrumbidgee river caught Murray Cod, a small around 40cm specimen which after a very quick video was also released. ( I have caught many Cod before but my first from this river). We moved on and Neil picked up a couple more from various spots. Unfortunately we kept hitting submerged objects and it wasn't worth risking damage to Neil's boat or motor so we called it a day and went back to Neil's.

Day 2 Neil took me to another part of the river to try some land based activity,

448568629_murrumbidgee.jpg.b928c597e94124b0d3c5ebc55d3647a7.jpg

Beautiful location but I just couldn't manage a bite, but anyhoe here I am posing with my Fishraider shirt

334384119_IMG_1400rsmurrumbidgee2fs.jpg.00263b87d6d16f6b5f86288222e06d61.jpg

A couple of days with a great mate and then I drove down to Adelaide for a few days to visit relo's .

I want to thank Neil for his hospitality and company and hope to get down there again when there is some water in the system.

Neil Knows the system very well and is a good guide and very good company so I would recommend any Fishraider to take up Neil's invite to go down that way, but wait till there is some water in the river.

Frank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Glad you managed to visit Frank, big shame that the water levels are critically low and hence very poor fishing. However, we've both been around long enough to know that sometimes we have to settle for pristine environments and good company when the fish don't want to play. Always good to catch up with you and I hope that we are able to have another go when conditions are more conducive. Hope to catch up when I visit Sydney end Jan / early Feb. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the comments. Neil it was an absolute pleasure to spend some time with you and I am completely happy with what went down, I have tried several places along the Might Murrumbidgee Rive to catch a cod ( not including the Burrinjuck part of the river as I caught several  Cod there ) and you put me onto my first so it's another want off my bucket list.

Hope to do it again and hope things go well on your next visit to the big smoke.

Frank

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...