Prawning - How to process/handling after catching

Kevwing

Hi guys

Just following up on my prawning down in Jervis Bay/St George's Basin with the help of Fishraider GreenHornet's  advise. Thanks again!

It was extremely windy which made is quite a nuisance. Couldn't see the prawns easily and a heap of them were hanging at the bottom
However, managed to bag about 2-3kg all up over 2 nights. 

Anyways, the first night the prawns started turning a bit black like when prawns start going old .

My missus mixed this with the new bag the second night.

By the third night most of the prawns were black.

I managed to cook half of them yesterday and the prawns were pretty good. Sweet and tender. Just enough elasticity and rigidity for a perfect bite

However, today i cooked the other half. The prawns were quite sweet but closer to mushier

I will note, i did put them in the fridge the night i caught them but they still turned black.

My guess is some of them were rotting from the first night and infecting the other prawns?

Could someone give a bit of advice on this as i will be going back down again and thinking i might be handling the prawns incorrectly?

Cheers

We use the Ice Slurry or give them a quick cook as soon as we get home.

To keep them alive for bait we put them in a 25ltr bucket with a air pump and kept in a cool dark place, like the garage It kept them alive over night and most were still swimming well. This was just 10 - 15 not kilos just enough for some bait.

Another way to keep them alive is to place them in water on a large flat tray, or 10 to 15 in the bottom of a bucket, with water depth less than their body height. This is so they can keep damp and breathe some air.

If you use water above their body height, the oxygen in the water soon runs out and they drown and  die. A couple will die anyway, or you will need to use a pump to aerate the water.

Also used the wet sack method as a kid, and it works very well. Keep them in a cool and damp place - fridge will be too cold.

Edited by Yowie