Nelsons bay

Ali2196

Hi guys, my name is Ali I’m pretty new to this forum and can’t wait to read up on all the info and tips you legends share with the fishing community. I will be going down to Nelsons bay in a couple of months and taking my 4.5 m runabout with me, Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on where to head out to catch some Decent fish and to catch some live bait or even some squid. I might even go out on a charter while I’m there and if you’s can recommend me a charter that would be great :😁

Thank you for all the help 😁

Depends if you want to fish outside or in the bay  check some of scratchies topics  in search area  he lives at the bay  i can give u some areas outside to try  squid can be caught drifting weedbeds out from shoal bay shops out to tomaree mental facility  also round most of the headlands heading south out of the bay round fingal island...rick

Just read the whole post and boy that’s some solid information thanks scratchie!  When you were saying about the headlands that it could be a dangerous area due to rips, what exactly is the headlands you were talking about?  Just being cautious because I don’t want to get stuck in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thank you so much! 😁

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Try this one Ali. 

All the information is still relevant and the areas I still fish! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Edited by Ali2196

9 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Mate it’s between the two headlands tomaree and yaccaba. Normally a safe passage to enter and exit but can be a washing machine at times! 

Oh ok thanks mate, it’s always good to double check. Appreciate the tips 👍

4 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

For live bait, turn south straight around from Tomaree Head, there’s a big crack in the cliff. It’s called Mrs Murphy’s. Sound around near there. You’ll get yakkas and slimies.

Cheers mate !

I was heading out of the heads on a charter once from NB & there were 6-8ft barrels coming over the bar, obviously it was an ebb tide.

The captain hugged the south headland & missed the whole thing but looked like pipeline as we passed, local knowledge is a must before crossing any bar & make sure you sign in & out with the local marine rescue.

There is a lot of water moving in & coming out of that small space so look at the tide charts for the best times to leave & return.

Enjoy the trip.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1