The DIY SP jighead experiment

kingie chaser

Hi raiders, I was having a chat with a mate around a month ago about some things we had seen on some fishing shows& in particular the NZ show Big Angry Fish.

The idea was already out there with Nathan from the show making what he called 'skutes' which you can read about here-

https://bigangryfish.tv/fishing-how-to/skutes

So I though I might have a but of a play & see what I can come up with.

Jumped onto ebay & just ordered a few different fishing holographic  materials to start which included some snapper flasher type thread of different colours, some tape & some adhesive sheets, some UV clear fly finish & some foam strip that I had already

I guess at the moment these are just prototypes & I want to test different materials & might even use some feathers in some.

I wont know how the action on these will work & what will be attracted to them but if I can at least catch a flatty or two then I will be pretty stoked.

Given that I am using some foam on these I thought I would initially go with 1/2 oz jig head but I also think I will work on some different weight for the depth I am fishing & look for some jigheads with eyes that I have seen on the net

The plan is give these 2 I made a crack next week & see how they go?

Just a bit of fun & to do something with my hands which I like, I mean I have a box full of SP's but really just wanted to have a bit of fun.

Happy to hear an feedback & other materials that could be used :biggrinthumb:

SP1.thumb.jpg.a4647d9acce16d5cf201fb6abec20ca8.jpg

SP1.1.thumb.jpg.583fba927293107f24e830fc2781b4da.jpg

SP2.thumb.jpg.3767f02a4cebce44a963e8069a2f1ad4.jpg

SP2.2.thumb.jpg.83ad7cdcb8457a9d383555dab27e0344.jpg

3 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Hi raiders, I was having a chat with a mate around a month ago about some things we had seen on some fishing shows& in particular the NZ show Big Angry Fish.

The idea was already out there with Nathan from the show making what he called 'skutes' which you can read about here-

https://bigangryfish.tv/fishing-how-to/skutes

So I though I might have a but of a play & see what I can come up with.

Jumped onto ebay & just ordered a few different fishing holographic  materials to start which included some snapper flasher type thread of different colours, some tape & some adhesive sheets, some UV clear fly finish & some foam strip that I had already

I guess at the moment these are just prototypes & I want to test different materials & might even use some feathers in some.

I wont know how the action on these will work & what will be attracted to them but if I can at least catch a flatty or two then I will be pretty stoked.

Given that I am using some foam on these I thought I would initially go with 1/2 oz jig head but I also think I will work on some different weight for the depth I am fishing & look for some jigheads with eyes that I have seen on the net

The plan is give these 2 I made a crack next week & see how they go?

Just a bit of fun & to do something with my hands which I like, I mean I have a box full of SP's but really just wanted to have a bit of fun.

Happy to hear an feedback & other materials that could be used :biggrinthumb:

SP1.thumb.jpg.a4647d9acce16d5cf201fb6abec20ca8.jpg

SP1.1.thumb.jpg.583fba927293107f24e830fc2781b4da.jpg

SP2.thumb.jpg.3767f02a4cebce44a963e8069a2f1ad4.jpg

SP2.2.thumb.jpg.83ad7cdcb8457a9d383555dab27e0344.jpg

No big deal if they don't work, I only outlaid about $20 on enough materials to make roughly 30 to 40 lures.

• Like 1

I noticed skutes DIY projects are popular in NZ -  a hybrid between bucktail and saltwater flies. I would look at pictures from NZ fishing forums/FB for more inspiration.  And probably would start from modifying bucktails (they have eyes, painted in bright colors, already have 'body' and can be found quite cheap $1-3 on clearances in AU) - however half of DIY fun would be lost.

Good luck with project! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m sure they will catch you fish.

However I can tell you what has worked for me with tying my own saltwater flies, and fly/jig and fly/popper combos.

Firstly, a great big outsize eye on the jig head. Predatory fish zoom in on the eye.

Flouro colours. Flies with a lot of flouro work very well because flies are easily overlooked by fish. Fish eyesight is tuned to work in low light, so they are particularly responsive to flouro (giving out more visible light then is taken in). Fluorescent chartreuse and flouro pink seem to be what works for me. 

Lots of movement. You need feathers etc that flex and pulse in a lifelike way. Ditch the foam on the side, replace it with twitchy soft feathers backed up with some stiffer flouro flash. I reckon that as soon as fish see feathers pulse, it confirms to them that the fly/jig is alive because everything living in the water needs to pulse somehow to get along. 

When you think about a clouser, it’s just a fly/jig with the weight coming from lead wire wrapped along the body.

cheers

V.