Botany Bay Kings and Squid with Stewy

nbdshroom

Earlier this week, Stewy took me out for a session on the Cooks for Bream and Jews on his Fishraider boat. With us both being avid jew and bream fisherman, that was the plan anyway.

We were on the water bright and early at first light and as the day played out, it became evident that the Cooks River would be a hard slog. We managed to catch a flathead (5" jerkshad) and a bream (on his new crab soft plastics which look unreal) before the change of plan to head into Botany bay and have a look around the corner at Molineux Point. Stewy also managed a cod of some variety - probably an estuary cod if someone can confirm. This was taken right at the end of the day.

IMAG0380.thumb.jpg.0b3cec359cfc96e711950e1a4e025483.jpgIMAG0381.thumb.jpg.a530cff64381830e782f83fb8be460f3.jpgIMAG0396.thumb.jpg.4e2fd91cb855fddda5219a51958ab41a.jpg

Now about Molineux, there have been reports of rat kings being caught here for the good part of a week (even reports posted here) and so we had our hopes up. The kings weren't busting up and we did work some stickbaits and poppers along a few of the markers on the way to the point. The point looked quiet as we passed by as the kings didn't seem to have gone through yet so instead of sitting down and waiting for them, we decided to go hunt some calamari squid. 

In short, we caught plenty. Well, Stewy caught plenty and I had to resort to netting them. The green-eyes were firing this morning and by the time I was able to store away the squid, put aside the net and have a cast, Stewy would be onto another sucker. This would repeat many times until we filled the bucket. Every jig we tried, we hooked up but if you guys were wondering what secret weapon Squidmaster Stewy had on, it was a Yamashita 1.8 in orange tiger. I made sure to get the scoop for you guys and I will certainly be getting a few of those jigs. 😎

Edited by nbdshroom
  • Like 1

<Continued>

So onto Molineux. Obviously, this is the first time I can remember that we have bait fished so we didn't have the right tackle for the job. Our makeshift rig was simply a jighead around 3/8oz with a strip of squid cut out from a pair of scissors with moderate difficulty.

IMAG0382.thumb.jpg.a63dc1f06c28f2ec29dad235f3305155.jpgIMAG0389.thumb.jpg.133d5f8de88fa64a9b4422909a4b6725.jpg

We dropped out baits out behind the boat and held onto our rods with anticipation. We were running heavy gear for the rat kings we were expecting. I was using a PE3 Daiwa Saltiga 7'1" with a Daiwa Catalina 4000H running about 30lb braid and 30lb FC leader. It didn't take long after that. In summary, it was a good gym session in front of Molineux Point. The fish were all in the 50-low 60s class. There might have been a few bigger ones in the mix from the bust offs/smokings. We fished near locked up drags due to the countless other boats and lines out there. 

IMAG0395.thumb.jpg.c27b0890308edd4faec0d58d79d4d124.jpgIMAG0394.thumb.jpg.fb5efeff9d15552694096c194c9edbd3.jpg

Even the Police we out at some stage making sure everyone was abiding by the maritime laws (and possibly having a look to see how the kingies were going). 

Edited by nbdshroom
  • Like 1

I lost count of how many kings were hooked, lost or landed. I had 4 batteries for the GoPro and I was running out of memory and battery. You will see in the video I was recording very conservatively toward the end and lot of our catches were simply not recorded. 

IMAG0392.thumb.jpg.94c9f41ddc8f35f2463f6fda5dd8c378.jpgIMAG0391.thumb.jpg.7aca24344e4ddccea9dbe7af2ecdd8e7.jpg

Kings were even swimming out from the under the boat at one stage. It was hard to miss them.

All fish caught were released back into the water.

Overall, it was a great day out with Stewy. Thanks for the company and the awesome fishing. I appreciate you taking me out.

Edited by nbdshroom
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Top day out guys :biggrinthumb:

Certainly was. It was good to get out.

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Lovely to see you out on our boat fishing Pete. Stewy enjoyed the trip with you immensely and thanks for the video footage.

When I go I will make him "net boy"  :1worthy::fisher::wub:

Thanks Donna. I'm glad to hear that. Yes, he should be the designated netter when you fish with him. 

48 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Looks like a cracking day out there fellas! Killed it 💪

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff. A cracking day it was. It had that magical feeling just like that night on the Hawkesbury we all had at the social several years back.

27 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

Great stuff well done boys

Thanks mate.

18 minutes ago, xerotao said:

Nice going.

I wonder if all these rat kingfish have to do anything with the 7000 that were stocked back in september and another 2000 this week?

Almost certainly mate.

Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes and grown in to hoodlums!

• Like 1

That looked like a great day out.

Great consolation prize when the Jews weren't on.

Good work with the camera Pete it was fun to watch, better work on the squid net, next time try and give Stewy a go so you can get a jig in the water.( Good Luck )

Top effort fellas.

• Like 1