Low Stretch Mono Off The Beach

Green Hornet

I haven't fished bait off the beach for over thirty years, preferring to throw metals at salmon and tailor, but a back injury is telling me its time to give all that constant casting a rest and get back into some pilly casting from the old alvey.

Looking at re-spooling the sidecast and wondering if low stretch mono would be a better option than the normal stuff? My thinking is that there's always a fair bit of line out when fishing the beach and a bit less stretch might be a good thing.

Any opinions?

Thanks for the responses guys.

@Rebel, my local has Sufix and Platypus low stretch, so I'll give the Sufix go from your recommendation.

Another question I'd like to ask everyone regarding surf poppers. What is the ideal length of the dropper to tie them to? 30-40cm I assume.

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Hi,

I used Platypus, didn't like it. Can't help you with the poppers. I only use various Metals. Make sure you buy the clear Sufix21

Cheers.

Thanks. Clear Sufix is the only stuff they stock, so no problem there.

Can I ask what you didn't like about the Platypus?

Hi,

I understood Platypus was a good brand. I bought the pink low stretch. It just didn't last like good quality Mono lines do.

I only use Mono and I buy the best brands. Maybe it is just me or I bought a bad batch, that can happen.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I've used Platypus Platinum a bit and its always been good to me.

I did read that some guys didn't like the Platypus Low Stretch due to line memory issues, but I assume that be most likely with spin reels.

I'll go with the Sufix anyway.

The only mono I use is Platypus Pretest and swear by it. I don’t know how it compares for stretch rate but it’s important to me that it breaks within the stated line class for ANSA/IGFA claims and competition. Never had a problem with it.

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes, I use spin reels all the time. As I said I might have had a bad batch of Platypus. I go rock fishing so I am about to try another brand, Penn Super X. From what I am told it is a good product. Mono of course. We will see. The rocks up here will test anything.

Cheers.

• Like 1