nelsons bay boat ramps

Ali2196

hi guys, heading down to nelsons bay soon and was wondering which boat ramp you guys would recommend to dock off if i'm going to go past the headlands? i searched up little beach boat ramp but it seems like everyone gets bogged there. thanks guys!!

Edited by Ali2196

I usually use Soldiers Point ramp because I usually fish solo and I can tie up there while parking/retrieving my car and trailer. Best ramp in the Bay but a longer run to the heads. If I have crew to hold or drive the boat, I use Little Beach or Shoal Bay, depending on tide, surge and sand.

• Thanks 1

Little beach this time of year normally gets a bit of extra grooming due to the tourists! Just watch out for any strong westerlies in the arvo! It normally means storm and strong winds! Makes for difficult retrieving! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

i use little beach cos i stay at halifax, and i do it solo as i got the boat catch, but beware of little beach, at low tide tide u will 100% get bogged. because it's a ramp that build into beach. the ramp is wide enough for 4 lanes, but as 2 side of the ramp is beach.. at low tide u can only use the center 2 lane for a lesser chance of ur trailer wheel in sand. in middle lanes i was able to pull a 17ft glass boat out with a FWD but it requires some skill. not sure about shoral bay but soilders point is the best and more modern with floating pontoon while the little bay is not floating pontoon. anyway but if ur fishing near the head or offshore. soilders point is a long run especially when it gets rough

• 1 year later...

I use it when I'm up there, like most people do. $2 mil should fix it as they are going to lift the ramp that should reduce  the amount of sand you get on low tide plus it will be a lot steeper, won't need to put the tow tug in the drink.

I wish they included a floating pontoon, on low tide that jetty is way too high .

3 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

I use it when I'm up there, like most people do. $2 mil should fix it as they are going to lift the ramp that should reduce  the amount of sand you get on low tide plus it will be a lot steeper, won't need to put the tow tug in the drink.

I wish they included a floating pontoon, on low tide that jetty is way too high .

Yes, a pontoon would be helpful... especially for those of us who launch and retrieve solo!

The website states once the plans are done it will be put out to the public for consideration however that's usually to late.

I'd be asking local fisho's to write to council with their suggestions if they haven't already done so so they can try get things like a pontoon or anything else on the original plans!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2