Last nights storms

Fab1

Ouch.   We didn’t get hail but trees blew down all around the suburb. I was just happy the massive tree behind my place didn’t fall and take out my garage and car after working on it for weeks.   Now if the boat was in there....

3 minutes ago, Welster said:

Ouch.   We didn’t get hail but trees blew down all around the suburb. I was just happy the massive tree behind my place didn’t fall and take out my garage and car after working on it for weeks.   Now if the boat was in there....

My boat is dent free in garage.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

My boat is dent free in garage.

Usually all my cars and toys are undercover.    But for the last few months the boat has been in the front garage taking two of the three spots.   My old fairlaine has been in the boats spot in the back garage so my work van sits outside.  

Yesterday though my L plater daughter was driving when the storm hit.   

We had an extended black out the other night and it put the pool timer out.   The filter came on during the night and my daughter woke me to tell me it didn’t sound right.  I must of switched it off without looking because when I did today the case of the pump had split open.  I haven’t really got the time or inclination to look into it myself so will be dropping it in for repair.  Dad gave me the “where is your sense of adventure look” 😂

Edited by Welster

10 minutes ago, Welster said:

Usually all my cars and toys are undercover.    But for the last few months the boat has been in the front garage taking two of the three spots.   My old fairlaine has been in the boats spot in the back garage so my work van sits outside.  

Yesterday though my L plater daughter was driving when the storm hit.   

We had an extended black out the other night and it put the pool timer out.   The filter came on during the night and my daughter woke me to tell me it didn’t sound right.  I must of switched it off without looking because when I did today the case of the pump had split open.  I haven’t really got the time or inclination to look into it myself so will be dropping it in for repair.  Dad gave me the “where is your sense of adventure look” 😂

Yeah,i went out to check pool too and other than debris everything ok.20181216_162800.thumb.jpg.2d1ad300eb86945cd11916520360e256.jpg

• Like 1

I know it’s a bit off you topic but you might relate to this one.    I had my 351 out for a new rear mains and we decided to get the block machined for a 1 piece seal instead,  from there you know how it goes....

We had the heads reconditioned to suit unleaded, new valves, springs all that stuff.

Anyway engine back in the car started and ran fine.  Check the oil and it’s milky 😡.   We started testing and working our way through methodically and it turns out a core plug was leaking rusted from the back.   Rang the machine shop that hadn’t come across it before and had never removed them before.   Anyway he said I will pull some out of old heads you can have.   A while later he rang back saying with heat and rattle gun they couldn’t budge them.  We decided to pull the engine, drill and tap all 6 of the plugs ( they were tapered into the centre so much thicker when drilled) and put a plug in the plug. 

2E963E1A-3D28-4A1A-847C-690DF96E30D2.jpeg

8AE00A60-A7ED-4B2C-BB56-AA3CF3AAC92F.jpeg

Edited by Welster
One day I will proof read first
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Who else coped it in last nights storms?Hail damaged cars,trees/fences down,roofs damaged etc around here.

Both my cars look like golf balls.

20181216_141010.jpg

Speaking of golf balls,thinking of playing putt putt on the bonnet when the weather clears up.

20181216_212743.thumb.jpg.95b42de01fdd8f2d0fc016f6185ce3f0.jpgLooks like my painting gear will be coming out of retirement soon.😂

2 hours ago, Welster said:

Looks like a lot of work 

Yeah,it is.If i repair it ill put new bonnet,door skins and guards.Then its a matter of taping out the dents on roof and quarter panels.

Not looking fwd to it to be honest but will see.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Yeah,it is.If i repair it ill put new bonnet,door skins and guards.Then its a matter of taping out the dents on roof and quarter panels.

Geez mate, that IS a lot of work. Are you sure it’s worth doing all that? What car is it?

I haven’t tried hail damage but Ive used the dent removal guys on small dents and they are brilliant. As long as they can access the dent from the inside, it isnt really big and the metal is not stretched, they bring it back to normal. 

5 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

Geez mate, that IS a lot of work. Are you sure it’s worth doing all that? What car is it?

I haven’t tried hail damage but Ive used the dent removal guys on small dents and they are brilliant. As long as they can access the dent from the inside, it isnt really big and the metal is not stretched, they bring it back to normal. 

Its worth it to me.It's my 3 yr old kia cerato and my hilux coped it a bit too as my mrs and son where in our paddock when it happened. Yeah,i know how to do pdr as i use to do it back in the 90's when i was a spraypainter and its useful for small dents but not large ones or creases. 

Like i said will see how i go for time etc.

The passenger side dents on the roof.20181217_061133.thumb.jpg.486d15b60acc33df490bd1221112b76d.jpg

7 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Hey Fab just curious why wouldnt you put it through insurance and let them deal with the headache and cost.

1 minute ago, GoingFishing said:

Hey Fab just curious why wouldnt you put it through insurance and let them deal with the headache and cost.

I don't let anyone except me work on my things and don't like giving insurance companies more money than they deserve.

That's a bummer Fab.

About this time last year I was towing the van to Victoria in southern NSW when a big hailstorm hit. Nowhere to hide. The van had every panel replaced under insurance. The car had a couple of tiny dents only on the roof. The van was 6 months old.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Yowie said:

That's a bummer Fab.

About this time last year I was towing the van to Victoria in southern NSW when a big hailstorm hit. Nowhere to hide. The van had every panel replaced under insurance. The car had a couple of tiny dents only on the roof. The van was 6 months old.

No big deal in the scheme of things mate. 

16 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

As long as everybody is safe- all is good

I read somewhere - some say that’s a fart in the windstorm of life !

Puts it into perspective.

cheers Z

Sure does mate.Materialistic things are way down the bottom on my importance scale.After xmad ill start popping the 5000 dents out.

• Haha 1