What gear I use for inshore kings

OscarMoore

Hi all! 

Just going to be running through some of the gear I use for inshore kingfishing.

First off, my light setup.

My reel is a Shimano Stradic 1000, a new addition, spooled up with some lower end (cheaper) 6lb braid and I usually run 10lb mono leader. It is a great little reel with a good amount of drag, just enough to stop those rat kings!

This reel is paired up with an Atomic Arrowz Estuary 7 foot, with a 3-10lb line rating. This rod goes great with the reel, strong, light and it is stiff enough that I feel confident casting heavier lures on it without it breaking!

Now to finish off, my heavier setup.

My reel is a Daiwa AIRD X 4000, a friend had a couple of them so I would always give them a go, it is a great looking reel that performs great, is light and has a great drag system, I have it spooled up with 20lb powerpro braid and usually use 30 pound leader for it. 

The rod I have this reel paired up with is a Shimano rod made for Fish Outta Water, I’m not entirely sure on the name, but I know that it is 9 foot long, and is rated to 8kg line, and is very good for casting, it is a great rod that isn’t used enough.

They are the rods, reels and line I use for kingfishing, just let me know if you would like to know about some lures I use and how to use them, and if this was useful to you.

Kind regards.

Oscar 

• Like 1

I found it very useful Oscar. Not that I have such gear set up for Kings. However, I do have something suitable (using your info as a guide) That I will bring with me when I do try to catch one. I'm sure that many people would be pleased to read the types of lures, etc that you use. Cheers, bn

Hey Oscar. What type of lures have you found worked in the harbour? I am also curious about retrieve techniques that you use. Ive seen people do a slow wind, a fast wind and a retrive where they pull it through the water stop and reel the lin back in. I'm only starting out with lures so I'd like to know. 

@Despo4kingfish slap stix tend to work great for harbour and offshore kings, there are also multiple ways of working them, you can put a weighted jig head on them let it sink down to the bottom and jig it a couple time aggressively and then pause for a 5 second ish or you can go unweighted and just rip it across the surface