Botany bay 17/12/18

kingie chaser

Its taken me a while to get back on the water for a flick so managed to get out & try & find some of these kings that everyone has been onto recently.

I was going to get some livies but decided to hit molly point around 6.10am.

Plenty of boats anchored up & a couple of yakers.

I could see even before I dropped anchor that people had bent rods so I knew they were still there.

Pulled up & while I was getting ready to drop & squid bait I quickly just dropped a micro jig to near the bottom to see if the boat motion may entice something.

Anyway as soon as I dropped the squid strips & put the rod in the holder a saw 2 rats swimming right by the tinny on the surface so I quickly grabbed my rod that had a joker paddle tail shad on it & they both started going nuts at it but then would back away at the last second.

So after making the right action at the right time the tiny king took the SP like 1ft under at the side of the boat, went for a little run but it near swallowed the 1/2oz jug head so gave up quickly.

Its so small it hasn't even developed a yellow tail yet 🤣

I didn't get anymore after 10 minutes so went off to chase some flatties & ended up just getting a couple.

Didn't bring anything home but just nice to get back on the water after a long spell.

king (2).jpg

• Like 5

Does not look like a full bred yellowtail kingfish. It has the bandit colours around the eyes, but little kingfish colour along the body. The smallest kingie I caught in the Hacking many years ago was 30cm long, and it had the standard kingfish colouring at that size.

Could it be a mixed breed of kingfish and amberjack? Fish do interbreed at times like us humans.

Many years ago I caught a few fish now and then, that looked like yellowtail/yakkas that had a green tinge along the top of the back (yakkas have a brown tinge) and the row of scutes was only near the tail, not along most of the lateral line.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Does not look like a full bred yellowtail kingfish. It has the bandit colours around the eyes, but little kingfish colour along the body. The smallest kingie I caught in the Hacking many years ago was 30cm long, and it had the standard kingfish colouring at that size.

Could it be a mixed breed of kingfish and amberjack? Fish do interbreed at times like us humans.

Many years ago I caught a few fish now and then, that looked like yellowtail/yakkas that had a green tinge along the top of the back (yakkas have a brown tinge) and the row of scutes was only near the tail, not along most of the lateral line.

The strange yakkas are probably cowanyoung/jack mackeral

http://www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/cowanyou.htm

16 hours ago, Yowie said:

Hard to say, you could be right?

I guess we will find out as they get a bit bigger.

All I know is if it was another 30cm it would have been turned into sushi & sashimi 🤣  

Would be interesting to hear if anyone is catching any of the tagged fish!

47 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Would be interesting to hear if anyone is catching any of the tagged fish!

I was out on my yak Sunday morning and another guy told me a few of the ones he got had the tags in them. I got a few up to 60cm, but that was the biggest. So much fun though on the light rods 😁

• Like 1