1st legal Cod for the season

big Neil

Greetings folks. Just got back from a sun - up session at the river. An absolute pearler of a day to head to one of my go-to spots. Frank S will know this one. The dirt track to the river was alive with kangaroos and it was hard avoiding them as they crisscrossed the trail. I got set up and lobbed the shrimp net into the very low water. It had dropped a metre overnight, usually a poor indicator for catching Murray Cod...but you never know! While waiting for some shrimps I loaded one rod with cheese and the other with chicken, chucked them in and settled down to wait. Had a slow nibbly bite on the cheese which stopped after about 10 mins. Sure enough, I was baited. While I was rebaiting there was a serious touch on the chicken bait. I had no sooner lobbed the cheese bait in than the other rod took off and the fun began. The fish took off for the nearby snags at a rate of knots, but the drag was locked and I turned him around quick smart. A short battle and I had the first keeper for the year (59cms). I was only out for a bit of fun so let him go till next time. No other serious bites although I spotted several Carp cruising along below my feet, vacuum cleaning the river bed. A beautiful day to be out soaking up the early morning rays. Here's a few pics. Till next time, tight lines. bn

First legal Murray Cod @ 59 cms (released)

FRIDAY1rs.thumb.jpg.2711df9e85ead47fe5d2ac1c3d778178.jpg

Dozens of fallen trees make this a good spot

FRIDAY4rs.thumb.jpg.7aae9eceaec9095a776a4375766d62fa.jpg

dropped a metre overnight

FRIDAY10rs.thumb.jpg.de265cb55fc5502f2c0b2bbeafd95836.jpg

Carp cruising along, vacuum cleaning the river bed

FRIDAY13rs.thumb.jpg.f9cb58f0640f2ae0c07848656dd88304.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dirvin21 said:

Awesome Neil... ironically the river I cod fished early in the weekhad risen by about a metre and fished just as tough

Hi Dave. It's hard getting perfect conditions (even if they exist). These days I don't bother checking things out apart from whether there's enough water to launch the boat and get around. Have a good one mate, bn

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 10:53 AM, big Neil said:

Carp cruising along, vacuum cleaning the river bed

FRIDAY13rs.thumb.jpg.f9cb58f0640f2ae0c07848656dd88304.jpg

Hi Neil

That carp is what you are looking for to sight cast. He is actively feeding along the edge.

Cast your fly or small unweighted soft plastic well past him and retrieve it to within 1/2 metre of his face, pause and twitch. If he wants it you will know, repeating the cast a few times can entice a strike if he ignores your lure.

A visual hook up in shallow water followed by his first run on light line ( I use 2kg pre-test mono, 6lb fluro trace for this) is about as much fun as you can have fishing for carp.

Hope this helps

Good luck with the Cod

Ash

• Thanks 1