What are you making for Christmas?

Sea Ranger

Here at Bear and Roo’s place we are making my Grandmother Marie’s fill cookies and a chocolate delight called Buckeyes.  On Christmas Day I’m baking the Turkey while Roo does the roast and well everything else.  What are your holiday traditions you are cooking up?

11208D16-BDFB-4C41-A6A8-8AD50AA777A0.jpeg

• Like 1

My mother-in-law (a Singapore Eurasian) has been busy, like every Christmas, preparing her traditional Eurasian treats and dishes, which are: pineapple tarts, sugee cake, mulligatawny (soup), acar (vegetable pickle) and feng (a kind of curry). I look forward to each of them every year... they are to die for... but I try to keep out of the kitchen while she’s preparing them! 😂

My contribution will be roast pork with extra crackling in the charcoal grill/smoker and I’m heading out tomorrow to try and catch some blue swimmers. If successful, I’ll boil a few up to serve alongside some prawns and the rest will no doubt go into a Singapore Chilli Crab dish. 😋 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

My mother-in-law (a Singapore Eurasian) has been busy, like every Christmas, preparing her traditional Eurasian treats and dishes, which are: pineapple tarts, sugee cake, mulligatawny (soup), acar (vegetable pickle) and feng (a kind of curry). I look forward to each of them every year... they are to die for... but I try to keep out of the kitchen while she’s preparing them! 😂

My contribution will be roast pork with extra crackling in the charcoal grill/smoker and I’m heading out tomorrow to try and catch some blue swimmers. If successful, I’ll boil a few up to serve alongside some prawns and the rest will no doubt go into a Singapore Chilli Crab dish. 😋 

I can't say I've had those dishes but they sound good!!  The blue swimmers will be an awesome touch

20 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Well, it looks like I’m just doing the pork. 😔 Just one crab and a flounder. Only enough for one. Oh, and about 30 sand whiting, no bigger than 25 cm, so all released.

26 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Well, it looks like I’m just doing the pork. 😔 Just one crab and a flounder. Only enough for one. Oh, and about 30 sand whiting, no bigger than 25 cm, so all released.

Still sounds like a top day fishing

• Like 1

Traditionaly I've always cooked three roasts and had all my wife's family round for dinner ( mine are in the UK).  Spending hours in the kitchen on what's normally been hot Xmas days has worn thin though, so from now on it's cold meats and salad. I will still cook some turkey the night before and the kids can cook some of the fish they just came home with if they like but I'm semi retired in the kitchen from now on😉

• Like 1