Crab Dillies NSW

King chaser

Gday guys.

just checking a crabbing law in NSW. Crab dillies as seen in the image below. Are these classed as ‘Witches hats’ or ‘crab traps’, ie can I fish with two or four at a time per person.?

and in addition if they are classed as witches hats as I suspect. Can I fish with 4 of them in addition to two crab traps in the water as well, per person in the boat?

Then if there are two people in the boat can we fish with 8 dillies and 4 traps? 

Cheers 

8465CD09-1DD2-47F2-95EF-03BBA67DB758.jpeg

They are classed as a hoop net. A witches hat looks just like a witches hat. They are banned in some places, like Port Stephens. Hoop nets are OK in Port Stephens. Each licensed angler can use 2 crab traps and 4 hoop nets, appropriately rigged and labelled as per the regs, so, yes, if there are two of you in your boat, you can use 4 traps and 8 hoop nets. The hoop nets need to be worked though -  lift and check them every 20-30 minutes.

• Like 1

Had to look twice there as I thought someone had hacked my account 😅

Baz is correct, if you don't have this guide then I suggest you download it & look it over-

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/saltwater-recreational-fishing-guide

Page 36.

Also a good idea to check the latest location guides before you drop them somewhere you shouldn't.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

They are classed as a hoop net. A witches hat looks just like a witches hat. They are banned in some places, like Port Stephens. Hoop nets are OK in Port Stephens. Each licensed angler can use 2 crab traps and 4 hoop nets, appropriately rigged and labelled as per the regs, so, yes, if there are two of you in your boat, you can use 4 traps and 8 hoop nets. The hoop nets need to be worked though -  lift and check them every 20-30 minutes.

This is sound advice 

• Like 1