My Penn reel tightens its drag by itself!!! Please help

pugzthugz

I recently bought a Penn 950 SSM. I used it for one session on the beach at night and one in early morning. Towards the end of the second session, the drag started to tighten itself when I pulled line out of it which then made it harder to pull line out until eventually, it was impossible to take line. I have absolutely no idea why it is doing this, as I haven't taken the reel apart except for when I put the line spool into hot water after I put line onto it. I am pretty confident I didn't lose any parts while doing this. I thought maybe it had a bit of sand stuck in it so I took the line spool of and cleaned/ oiled the reel. This didn't help. How should I fix this?

Check the outside of the drag knob is not tight for some season against the inside of the spool.  Maybe an incorrectly installed drag knob rubber or something. 

Watch the drag knob closely when you pull line off and see if you can spot something that is making it turn. 

Take the knob off and check the top drag disk doesn’t turn with the spool. That will quickly determine if that is the cause. 

See how you go. 

• Thanks 1

Update: I fixed it. Part 117 has 2 little bits of metal that 685462966_ScreenShot2018-12-30at12_20_06pm.png.3721b68cd1290be39cd17e48fe366e4f.pnghold it in place with a similar looking gold plate. These were bent out of place. I just made them straight again with pliers which allowed the line spool to sit deeper into the reel. This prevented friction from the spool moving my drag, so now the reel is fixed. Thanks for the help Hateanchors and Rickmarlin.

Cheers -pugz

• Like 1

Just now, pugzthugz said:

Update: I fixed it. Part 117 has 2 little bits of metal that 685462966_ScreenShot2018-12-30at12_20_06pm.png.3721b68cd1290be39cd17e48fe366e4f.pnghold it in place with a similar looking gold plate. These were bent out of place. I just made them straight again with pliers which allowed the line spool to sit deeper into the reel. This prevented friction from the spool moving my drag, so now the reel is fixed. Thanks for the help Hateanchors and Rickmarlin.

Cheers -pugz

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/penn-950ssm-spinfisher-metal-spinning-reel-parts-c-186082_186231_186340.html

This ^ is a really helpful website for reel schematics.

1 hour ago, pugzthugz said:

Cheers -pugz

I see. So because that disc was sticking up, it made the spool sit a little higher than it should? 

Sounds like those discs were not put together carefully enough causing that bit to bend.