King donut but Busted of big style

smc2010

Sleepless night so I decided to hit malabar area early and try get some yakkas or squid for a king. Arrived before first light fired out lots of berley for yakkas hook some but sabiki rigs got snagged in weeds but mate picked up one squid early. Moved on out the rocks and tried for more yakkas with no result only the pest mado. Tried floating out some squid strips but they were untouched, at this stage we were almost fed up and tried spinning  a few lures which also turned up blank. While dabbling a few new lures just to see there action I had a few squid respond and attack the lures. Put on blue pilchard looking squid jig on and first cast brought up a decent calamari a decent 30cm hood approx (didn't measure it) or take photo to be honest I was to excited to get it back out live. Grabbed a rig I had made up the day before for jewies with 40lb trace (big mistake), slided out the big squid as my mate caught three more in the time it took me to tie a rig up. 5/6 minutes past and the rod tip bouncing a bit and squid is being harassed by something, waited for the run and struck the fish, got about ten/fifteen seconds of a good heavy run and that dreaded ping on the line 😢😢😢😢 fish gone. Should have stuck to the 80lb king traces. Could of been a shark what Ye raiders think ? Leader was slightly frayed and scratched but I don't think it had time to take me to the rocks to cut me off. All in all bit of confidence in the spot I only tried first time for kings 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FishermanSteve said:

It may not of been a king. I have no trouble bringing in legal kings on 12lb braid and 20lb leader. Although it takes a bit longer than skull dragging them in. Maybe it was a bit damaged or was shark like you say 

I honestly think it was a shark but do sharks not take it and run whatever it was played about and nibbled at it I didn't get the run for about one minute of tips and pulls. 

I've been getting among good numbers of kings over the last three trips,  there have also been many big bronze whalers with the schools of kings. If it was a shark I would consider myself lucky to have it break free ( my back doesn't like messing with sharks). 

I find even chassing kings on light gear ( 10lb braid 16lb mono leader) I get a fair amount of time fighting them before they wise up to trying to reef me. Over the last week I've hooked and landed around 30-40 kings on a ci4 3000 stradic and a 2-4kg Daiwa black, only two kings have dusted me in the bottom ( fishing 8-25m water ).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JonD said:

I've been getting among good numbers of kings over the last three trips,  there have also been many big bronze whalers with the schools of kings. If it was a shark I would consider myself lucky to have it break free ( my back doesn't like messing with sharks). 

I find even chassing kings on light gear ( 10lb braid 16lb mono leader) I get a fair amount of time fighting them before they wise up to trying to reef me. Over the last week I've hooked and landed around 30-40 kings on a ci4 3000 stradic and a 2-4kg Daiwa black, only two kings have dusted me in the bottom ( fishing 8-25m water ).

I'm assuming your on a boat with that setup mate I unfortunately have nowhere to keep a boat or I would have one. I'm usually on rock ledges/platforms so landing kings just isn't as easy. I know the back feeling 😂 Have had a few rough rays or at least I think they were rays (take a big run and stop dead for a minute can't budge em and run again) but to be honest your right I don't even want to try land a shark from the rocks and don't want cut leader and leave hooks in them even tho that's what just has to happen sometimes 

7 minutes ago, smc2010 said:

I'm assuming your on a boat with that setup mate I unfortunately have nowhere to keep a boat or I would have one. I'm usually on rock ledges/platforms so landing kings just isn't as easy. I know the back feeling 😂 Have had a few rough rays or at least I think they were rays (take a big run and stop dead for a minute can't budge em and run again) but to be honest your right I don't even want to try land a shark from the rocks and don't want cut leader and leave hooks in them even tho that's what just has to happen sometimes 

Yes i I do have a boat under me somewhere ( today !!)

IMG_0978.thumb.JPG.4b843cca9a4aabe3ef0b39534f00d884.JPG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most likely it was a king - they can't resist live squid. It probably rubbed you off on the rocks. 80lb leader is a good choice but you don't say what your main line is. It's best to fish heavy and let them run as little as possible, eg a 24kg or heavier main line. 

34 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

Most likely it was a king - they can't resist live squid. It probably rubbed you off on the rocks. 80lb leader is a good choice but you don't say what your main line is. It's best to fish heavy and let them run as little as possible, eg a 24kg or heavier main line. 

So I'm running a daiwa bg 8000 with 80lb braid, 60 leader and my slider rig with 80lb mono. The slider caught itself up maybe 15 meters out so I honestly don't think it had a chance to reef me off the rocks, plus I was over heavy kelp so Another reason I don't think I got reefed.

2 hours ago, smc2010 said:

Got a solution to your boat storage problem.

You buy a boat, register, insure it and fill it with fuel and you can leave it in my back yard. I will take it out 4 or 5 time's a week for  you to make sure everything is going okay 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Got a solution to your boat storage problem.

You buy a boat, register, insure it and fill it with fuel and you can leave it in my back yard. I will take it out 4 or 5 time's a week for  you to make sure everything is going okay 

You are an absolute gentleman Bruce, making such a generous offer to help out a fellow Raider. I would hope that you'd take smc2010 with you occasionally? Cheers, bn

• Haha 1