botany bay 29/12/2018 to 30/12/2018

fisholb

hi raiders,

happy new year everyone!!!

its been awhile since i posted but always reading all the reports whenever i can.

decided to hit botany bay with 2 of my bff richard and basil.

got a call from basil (28/12) asking if i want to go fishing (29/12). the forecast was not good but decided to have a look anyway. suppose to go fishing on 28/12 but decided to pull the plug coz of the forecast from willyweather with over 40kph winds over 2m swell.

got to the ramp around 530am and the parking was already half full. decided to hit our bait spot to collect some squid and yakkas. lost our downrigger on our way to our bait spot. forgot to lock it on the holder. basil got the downrigger from overseas. not a very good start.

we are targetting kingys hoping to take home a hoody. got 2 squid over a dozen yakkas and slimys in about 1hr so decided to hit our kingy spot. caught the 2 squid on the orange jigs, yakkas and slimys on the chicken strips and pilly fillets. got to our kingy spot and quickly setup and sent the 2 squids 1 yakka on float. caught our 1st kingy around the 30cm trying to eat the 20cm yakka. that was really funny. the kingy was trying to swallow the yakka so my mate basil put a pilly cube and hooked the 30cm kingy. the 2nd kingy we saw was about 10kg trying to grab one of the squid on float but the squid kept on squirting the ink to the hoody. that was a sight to see. for the next 4hrs we saw rats and hoodys playing with us only managing to hook 4 rats around the 55cm on yakkas and metal lures. decided to pull the the plug around 2pm.

decided to go back the next day (30/12) with my bff richard my eldest son robie and his bff reece. i told my son robie and his bff reece i will take them fishing on 28/12 but cancelled due to the forecast of winds over 40kph swell over 2m. anyway decided to take them fishing on the 30/12. got to the ramp around 5am and there were already heaps of boats lining up at the ramp. took awhile to put the boat in the water so quickly went to our bait spot. saw over a dozen boats sitting at molli point but only 1 boat sitting on our bait spot. quickly anchor next to the other boat and started to catch some bait using chicken strips and pillys. my bff richard forgot to setup the reef anchor which put an end to our plan of targetting the kingys. for the next 2hrs we filled up our esky with slimys and yakkas. my son robie manage to land a 30cm kingy. his mate reece manage to bag out on the slimys. it was reece 1st time fishing on a boat and looks like reece had a great time. back at the ramp around 9am. 

thanks for reading and wishing everyone a happy safe and better 2019

slimys 30122018.jpg

• Like 2

I was out on the bay most of last week & saw plenty of kings caught but unfortanetly did not see any fish returned to the water except the ones I caught which were all under size. Hopefully we see a crackdown on this it would be easy enough to police as everyone fish’s in the one spot all simply wait for people at the boat ramp. If these small fish can survive the meatos this fishery will be great in a few years when there bigger.

2 hours ago, Basswhisperer said:

I was out on the bay most of last week & saw plenty of kings caught but unfortanetly did not see any fish returned to the water except the ones I caught which were all under size. Hopefully we see a crackdown on this it would be easy enough to police as everyone fish’s in the one spot all simply wait for people at the boat ramp. If these small fish can survive the meatos this fishery will be great in a few years when there bigger.

I would love to see a crackdown on this but I don’t think you can come back to the same area at the same time of year in say 5 years time, and those same school of (bigger) Kings will be there.  

Every year the same size, small Kings turn up to these kinds of spots. From what I’ve seen every year, I think when they grow bigger they move on to other places and a new batch of small ones take their place.