REDRUM

Prawning - Beginner Advice

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

 

Im thinking of going prawning for the first time, never really been fishing either but would like to start.

 

We are thinking of heading to Windang, NSW. Not too sure one exact location but thinking anywhere at the lake is ok? Any suggestions? Even a better spot in NSW?

 

From what I have read you need to go when the new moon is here, which is in 3 days at 12.28pm, we were hoping to go on the day but at night say 8/9pm.

 

Is pelican itch everywhere or just certain spots?

 

So far our checklist on what to bring is:

 

*Prawning nets handheld

*Torches

*Wading boots

*Fishing license online

Anything I’ve missed?

 

Any tips on where and the method of how/when?

 

Thanks.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by REDRUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks will have a read through while I wait for some replies, thanks again💪🏻💯

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard on the grapevine the guys prawning Lake Illawarra are not having a lot of success lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I've heard on the grapevine the guys prawning Lake Illawarra are not having a lot of success lately.

I did see a few posts about that, is there any other spots in NSW besides the entrance on the central coast? I’ve read about pelican itch and not keen at all to cop that😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're prepared to drive an extra 1-1.5 hours south, there's prawns in St Georges Basin.

I'm from down that way so can't help you with anywhere north of Sydney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Entrance has prawns.

Not a whole heap but they are there. Generally flooded with people though because of the proximity from Sydney

Green Hornet helped me out at the basin,  they are there but not in huge numbers and the prawns are bigger in the basin though.

Edited by Kevwing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 10:39 AM, Green Hornet said:

If you're prepared to drive an extra 1-1.5 hours south, there's prawns in St Georges Basin.

I'm from down that way so can't help you with anywhere north of Sydney. 

 I don’t mind travelling South, I really have no idea of where to go etc I will google St Georges Basin, is there pelican itch there? What do you recommend on bringing besides light and the handheld prawn nets? Waders? 

Stanidng in knee high water is probably best for prawning right?

Thanks.

 

On 1/4/2019 at 11:02 AM, Kevwing said:

Entrance has prawns.

Not a whole heap but they are there. Generally flooded with people though because of the proximity from Sydney

Green Hornet helped me out at the basin,  they are there but not in huge numbers and the prawns are bigger in the basin though.

 

I’m a bit worried to go to the Entrance everyone keeps saying they get the pelican itch there 😂 I have seen loads of people whenever I go there.

 

St Georges Basin might be the go, I’ll have to check it out, says new moon is on the 6th or January which is tomorrow, would it be best to go tomorrow or a day after or something?

Its hot as today too 40deg lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah windang is a bust, opening of the channel made for less weed growth which in turn caused reduction in prawn population. 

You can still get some but it's hard work and due to constant change in the sand flats and new channels developing due to speed of tidal waters it'll be hard to advise where to go unless the locals have found a spot.

As for pelican itch, none in lake illawarra last I was there, easy solution would be to get a pair of waders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

Yeah windang is a bust, opening of the channel made for less weed growth which in turn caused reduction in prawn population. 

You can still get some but it's hard work and due to constant change in the sand flats and new channels developing due to speed of tidal waters it'll be hard to advise where to go unless the locals have found a spot.

As for pelican itch, none in lake illawarra last I was there, easy solution would be to get a pair of waders. 

 

Thanks, so waders solves the problem of the pelican itch? Do you need gloves too?

Im thinking St Georges basin will be the go, how about cockles and pipis? 

Have been reading you can also get them south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are prawns at The Entrance and the crowds are not really that big of a problem.

The prawns generally start around 5 to 6 days after the full moon on the runout tide, which keeps running up 2 to 3 hours after the bottom of the tide.

Waders are a good way of avoiding pelican itch but too hot in the day...at night though, OK. Just be careful not to stumble in fast flowing water....a feller did some years back and they finally recovered his body about 10km north.

Access to water is easy and parking close by.

Give it a go and enjoy the fun.

KB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDRUM said:

 I don’t mind travelling South, I really have no idea of where to go etc I will google St Georges Basin, is there pelican itch there? What do you recommend on bringing besides light and the handheld prawn nets? Waders? 

Stanidng in knee high water is probably best for prawning right?

Thanks.

 

 

Just take the usual stuff. I'd be wearing waders if it was me, but if you don't want to at least wear a pair of decent soled shoes. Chances are you'll come across the odd small stingray or fortesque. No pelican itch down here.

If you're travelling a few hours, bring an esky and some ice to make a slurry for the prawns on the trip home to keep them in the best condition for the table.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

 

Waders are a good way of avoiding pelican itch but too hot in the day...at night though, OK. Just be careful not to stumble in fast flowing water....a feller did some years back and they finally recovered his body about 10km north.

 

Try cutting off the legs of the waders (just be careful not to go past the top or you will fill with water   :lol:). That way you will not overheat the body.

Read somewhere that a life jacket should be worn with waders in the event of falling over and therefore being able to stay afloat.

Edited by Yowie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      63,587
    • Total Posts
      506,389