My Stress Free new to me Boat

antonywardle

Hi all

I've been looking around for a while at my options for upgrading my boat. For the most part, I've been fairly happy with my Safari FG, but as I started spending more time outside fishing, than inside, I found that my FG boat a little limited. Mostly, I wanted more room for fishing, and higher sides so when I take my little fella out, I wouldn't have to worry quite so much. I was pretty happy with my trailer and my outboard, so it was just the hull that I wanted to reconsider. To get more room, I either needed a new hull, or I'd reconfigure the boat to have a pod on the back and remove the engine well, make the transom full height and remove the seats to give me better access to the batteries, or just replace the whole kit. I wasn't in any hurry but I spent some time looking around to see what was out there. I went and looked at a couple, but they didn't seem to strike a cord with me. Then I saw an ad for a Stessl 5.8 metre plate boat, and it was local. I went and had a look and instantly, I thought that this was the boat for me. 

I had a couple of weekends away, and next thing I know, the ad was taken down so I thought that I had missed out. I sent the guy a message and he'd taken the ad down because he was fed up with idiots hassling him about the ad. My wife said that if I was interested, that I had to take someone else to have a look at it. I got a mate to come along and we went and had another look at it. He couldn't see too many things that needed attention so we ended up doing a deal and next thing I know, I've got a massive boat in my mirror when I'm driving home.

IMG_20181223_102114.jpg.1d26b89b6df74143e676e3f44c1efdcc.jpg

I spent a lot of time getting the trailer right, then the next steps were figuring out how the hydraulic steering worked and then deciding about getting my engine moved over. I spent some time asking @zmk1962 for advice, and he was helpful with tips and encouragement. I also bored @kiwicraig and @flatheadluke with update messages and they were also great with their encouragement. Despite the heat, I was able to get my teenager out of bed to help me with the engine move. My wife was great with helping get all the bolts lined up and didn't mind that her hands turned black with the silicone that we used to seal the holes

IMG_20181226_125048.thumb.jpg.e7b219c2a48d66eb151105a72d6ed579.jpg

After the work was done, i spent some more time tidying things up and then it was sea trial time. The trailer was easy to back and the boat was easy to off and handle. We idled out between the moored boats and then went to put the throttle down and see what she could do. Unfortunately, the control wasn't in an ideal place so that all that happened was that I could only move it a little way before it was hitting the side and wouldn't go any further. I had taken some tools because you just never know, and I was able to move the throttle so that I could work around this until I got back home.

IMG_20181228_121841.thumb.jpg.49d8944019c707b8c33569977a8e59dc.jpgIMG_20181228_121950.thumb.jpg.d0240730606992a4e904d43798cdf42c.jpg 

She hopped up on the plane pretty well, and then my mate had to start teaching me about checking the trim. @zmk1962 had tried explaining similar things when I was driving his boat, but this time, what he said, and my mate said sunk in and I could understand it. I'm guessing that the new boat is a little more sensitive so I'll need to practice and pay attention. I went out and did a lap of Lion Island before coming back to the ramp. Got a top speed of 56 km/hr and that was comparable with what I was getting from my FG boat.  A few days later, I had 3 blokes in it, and I still got the same top speed. Initially, I was a little worried that my 90 might be a little under powered, but i'm pretty happy with it. Back at the ramp, the boat went on to the trailer with no issues (other than a guy in a BMW jumping in front of everyone and causing some grief). I'm looking forward to getting out in her a bit more and maybe chase something bigger. @kiwicraig,  @flatheadluke and I are planning a fishraider FAD's trip.

IMG_20181231_145946.jpg.a77c83c85fc74a250d734a3c208a105d.jpg

I've got a few more things to tidy up and move before I say goodbye to Two Blues, but PM me if you want a bare hull and a trailer.

So if you see a Stress Free boat out on the water, give me a wave!

IMG_20181231_145956.jpg.20da68b35d2f0c999a89e23ac2e1115c.jpg

Thanks for reading.

• Like 4

Great Stuff @antonywardle glad you got your "stree free" baby up and running - very happy for you !!!! 

You'll enjoy the offshore much more in a rig that you can stand up in and you never know but maybe that will help you resolve your burlying syndrome too. 

I bet it's also going to get a bit more crowded at the FADs and flathead grounds hahaha !

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789

Have you thought about converting two blues into a centre console? Would make a great inside boat for lure fishing. You might even be able to move the windscreen on to stress free somehow

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Nice upgrade mate.

Hope she gives you plenty of "stress free" boating and fishing mate.

Well done to zmk1962, kiwicraig and flatheadluke for helping you out...great to see Raiders always happy to help.

Cheers Dave

• Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, antonywardle said:

Good idea @flatheadluke, but it might not make it passed the minister of finance. Plus it would mean another boat sitting around here waiting for me to work on it, then I'd have to get it an engine. I reckon that a 60HP Yamaha 4 stroke would pretty well on it

Nothing the passage of time won’t fix 😉

Great work Antony. Congratulations on your new boat and hats off to the boy's for their help and support.

Whilst the finance minister may not want to have two boats in the driveway, i agree with flathead luke, a visor will be a great addition (almost a must). Offshore fishing u get some chop mixed with some wind the blowback can be really uncomfortable!

Ps......is it too early to change the profile pic now 😁💔

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Profile pic now updated. Windscreen is planned, but I have to figure out how to make one. I'm guessing that I'd need to find a big piece of perspex and then see how easy it is to bend. I've also been keeping an eye on the local website for second hand ones. 

Then I'm thinking a hard-top and then an electric motor or an anchor winch up front, then my game fishing poles, and then ....

But first, I'm just going to wear a big hat and enjoy her

• Like 2

6 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Profile pic now updated. Windscreen is planned, but I have to figure out how to make one. I'm guessing that I'd need to find a big piece of perspex and then see how easy it is to bend. I've also been keeping an eye on the local website for second hand ones. 

Then I'm thinking a hard-top and then an electric motor or an anchor winch up front, then my game fishing poles, and then ....

But first, I'm just going to wear a big hat and enjoy her

Great Stuff Antony.... 

Go and enjoy her for a while - it will be best to put some hours on the water as input to making your future decisions.

BTW, if you have a windscreen frame and are concerned about bending a perspex screen (it will craze !) , maybe consider Lexan instead of perspex.  Lexan is flexible (but not as scratch resistant). 

This article will give you the low down:  http://svmomo.blogspot.com/2009/12/replacing-boat-windows-polycarbonate-ie.html

The other thing to consider is will you be mounting a windscreen wiper(s). They do come in handy especially once you have a bimini or hardtop and have battened down with clears at the helm area.  If you are considering wipers - toughened glass screens are the go, but honestly I got away with a perspex screen and wiper for over a decade - no scratches especially if you only use the wiper when there is water on the screen. 

There's a place in Victoria Av Castle Hill off Showground Rd  - you probably have driven past it - I have sourced perspex there previously. They will cut to size/shape that you want. I brought them either the old perspex screen or a cardboard cutout of what I wanted. Usually done the same day.

So if it ends up being the more scratch resistant perspex  consider making the front screen as 2 flat halves instead of one continuous curve. It will be much easier to fabricate DIY.  There's a place at Smithfield that sells the aluminium profiles to sandwich the perspex and you can join the two flat front screen panes using their standard profiles as per the following :

image.png.1f5afc2e47cf5f3b93403515aa413256.png

https://www.ullrich.com.au/pdfs/Brochure_pdfs/marine-sections.pdf

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

Great looking rig, good to hear the 90hp is doing her justice, should be an economical all rounder especially once you get all the extra goodies on her,probably a good idea to go with a framed windscreen like Zoran has has suggested especially for when your out wide and the seas get a bit nasty, good to see all the guys and the whole family helping you out 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...