Swimmers are around in good numbers

Day's Fishin

Hi Donna,

We caught 23 in total 6 of which were the red ones. They are a lot heavier than the same size blues.

We lost 2 traps. Almost caught one or the grubs but he out run us through the shallows. 

We now know what he looks like and the tinny he uses so we will be looking for him until we find him and hopefully after that he will not be stealing any more.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

The red ones are paddler crabs i think

I'm not sure what they are, we have been catching them for around 2 years now. 

I have fished the Hawkesbury for the last 60 years and never caught them before.

6 hours ago, on the MARK said:

That’s disgusting to hear someone nicking traps! I have never seen a crab like that, that’s intresting to see actually, we’re you using witches hats or traps?’ thanks for the report’ 

We had round traps

9 hours ago, Brew said:

Coral crab I think. Charybdis feriatus.

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Animals+of+Queensland/Crustaceans/Common+marine+crustaceans/Crabs/Coral+Swimmer+Crab#.XDcYVSLZXYU

I got a few last year in the Hawkesbury. They taste good. 

I’ve also seen an increase in traps cleaned out and stolen this year. 

It’s such a shame. 

They do look like Coral crab however there is no coral anywhere near here.

9 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

Well if they are paddler they can be poisonous so be careful.   They look like the Coral Crab to me

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Documents/biosecurity/asian_paddle_crab.pdf

Bear

We have been eating them for a couple of years now and I am not dead. 

My wife may have a different opinion.

Jeff

On 1/6/2019 at 7:33 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Let it go. Not worth confrontation. 

Were they nice eating? 

Very true I had a guy kick my rod in the water the other night. After a few loud words and blows a knife was pulled. Lucky the police appeared and the knife mysteriously disappeared. He grabbed his stuff off in the car before police got to the jetty leaving them no choice but to take statements and not able to act. Despite him and his bait knife he is pretty lucky they turned up to be honest. But now looking back $300 worth of gear isn't worth the potential of a stab wound 

I set the traps on the Hawkesbury on Saturday hoping for a haul. Had 4 WHs and 2 CTs out. Checked them regularly and relocated them 3 times  and only got the 3 crabs all day (2 x blue swimmers and 1 coral crab).

I had them set just out of Parsely Bay and around Dangar Island. The amount of traps out on Saturday was phenomenal!

• Like 1