Another kingfish setup help topic...

grantos

All,

Currently running 2 outfits for Syd harbor and inshore:

'Light/med" - Quantum Response 7201 SPQ 4-6kg rod w Shimano Aernos 4000FA with braid (unknown weight) and 5kg leader - used for squid and catching live bait

'Heavy' - Shimano Terez TZS72MHBLK-OZ 13-22kg rod w Saragosa 8000 with 20kg braid and 30kg leader - used for kings on livebait or strips on downrigger of drift

Feeling that the heavy outfit is too heavy for the smaller kings and not sure if the lighter one is strong enough.

Wondering if reload the light outfit with 6kg braid and 10kg leader and use for kings using small livies and strips and purchase a nice new 2-4kg outfit for squiding and flatties etc

or:

Get something in between the two for small kings around 8-10kg

Any recommendations in the Shimano range would be appreciated.

Edited by grantos
update

Dont go to a gun fight armed only with a knife. Your second outfit will handle most kings, at this time of the year it can be hard getting past the rats but when you do--------! Having said that go ahead- you have my permission to buy more gear(you can never have too many rods 'n'reels) but your idea of getting a lighter outfit is a good one- i catch my bait with a Stradic 3000 on an old Pfleugar Trion 2-4 kg stick with 6lb braid, last March fought a 30kg black marlin with it for over 30 minutes-it also gets used a general purpose light outfit (its always in the boat)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaddyT said:

Stradic 3000 on an old Pfleugar Trion 2-4 kg stick with 6lb braid, last March fought a 30kg black marlin with it for over 30 minutes-it also gets used a general purpose light outfit (its always in the boat)

+1 on Paddy's advice..

OK Paddy fess up did you touch the leader with that marlin? :)

Bear

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sea Ranger said:

+1 on Paddy's advice..

OK Paddy fess up did you touch the leader with that marlin? :)

Bear

I said that i fought it! na, it ate the slimies on my bait jig at the Coffs wide bait ground, when i saw it jump I thought ah well this will last 30 seconds, when I got to the 20 minute mark i had the gloves on and really wanted the bugger but the bait jig wore through with it jumping past the boat about 15 minutes after that- good fun but not counted as a catch!

Reloading the light rod is a low cost way to explore that avenue. I run a fairly similar setup and can get away with rat kings easy and imagine up to 70cm would be doable, depending on structure in the area I'm fishing.

• Like 1