1 man Tinny

AussieJak

Hi All,

I just bought my first boat - 3.3m tinny with 15hp motor. Have taken it out twice. First time with the wife and dog - all good. Yesterday i took it out by myself and without the extra weight at the front as soon as you give the motor anything the front just pops straight up in the air, giving the motor  more wouldn't get it to plane or even go any faster - just stuck it's nose up right in the air. I tried running with the engine tilted up but to no effect.

Is the solution to get some sandbags to put up the front when i take it out by myself, seems contradictory to have to need more weight to get it to run effeciently but not sure what else to do?

Cheers

When you say you tried running with the engine tilted did you actually change the trim position by removing the pin & re positioning the motor & re inserting the pin??

If so what positions did you try(usually there are 6 hole positions), usually hole 2 or 3 from the bottom would be the right position for general criusing.

Tinnies will generally always raise up in the front before it gets onto the plane but with some weight up the front is will just get there quicker but will travel slower as always it comes down to power to weight ratio.

Is it an aluminium hull??

If so a 15hp still should be able to plane as long as there is not a heap of extra wait on board & the trim position is right.

I wouldn't be adding sand bags but I would tend to try & put whatever I am carrying on board like tackle boxes, eskies etc towards the front.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

When you say you tried running with the engine tilted did you actually change the trim position by removing the pin & re positioning the motor & re inserting the pin??

If so what positions did you try(usually there are 6 hole positions), usually hole 2 or 3 from the bottom would be the right position for general criusing.

Tinnies will generally always raise up in the front before it gets onto the plane but with some weight up the front is will just get there quicker but will travel slower as always it comes down to power to weight ratio.

Is it an aluminium hull??

If so a 15hp still should be able to plane as long as there is not a heap of extra wait on board & the trim position is right.

I wouldn't be adding sand bags but I would tend to try & put whatever I am carrying on board like tackle boxes, eskies etc towards the front.

Some sound advice there Jak 

Its also hard to comment on the right tilt position without knowing the hull shape.

What works well with no chop may not work effectively in a lot of chop as well.

Its all trial & error as to what is comfortable/performs better in different conditions to your hull.

15hp on a 3.3m Tinnie is a big motor for a small boat.

my old 3.5m was rated to 6hp

my 4.2m with a 25hp when I was on my own I have to pack weight at the front and I would lean as far forward as possible to help it plane.

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Motor in bow down  simplesness

I put my pencils away so now artwork from me, but I found this which should help explain.... as Rick said, motor in results in bow down.

image.png.741a780753ca15efd14d2373e2d929e9.png

When you are solo, you need a bit of motor-in to compensate for the extra weight at the back.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fishop said:

Trim down more to help lift the stern up?

I tried to edit my post it didnt work i suppose.

Was meant to simplify it to trim down (in) bow down, trim up (out) bow up.

Edited by Fishop
  • Thanks 1

I've owned a couple of 3.6m tinnys which had 15hp 2 strokes on the back and other than what's already been said the only thing I can add is when taking off just go straight to full throttle until you get up on the plane and then back off to your chosen speed. That should punch it out of the hole pretty easy and don't forget to back off because that thing is going to go like hell haha.

• Like 1

I see the problem your having.

Remove the loud and torque crazy 2 stroke u currently have and replace with a more power sensitive albeit quieter and less smokey 4 stroke. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jkz aside, i think the fellas have pretty much covered it. The only other thing i can think of is hydrofoil. Trim tabs not financially practical for 3.3m tinny and i dont think changing your prop will do anything.