Navionics - huge price increase with replacement App !

zmk1962

50 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Further to my above post here are two screenshots showing the area just of Barrenjoey. 

Navionics base charts:

7D7ECE32-0518-4531-B0E6-F4721BFA482A.thumb.png.92092b59d8030151edc39c2ba05876ed.png

And with the Sonarchart active:

3845A88E-1AA0-4A25-8DC0-6EE0B78F64E0.thumb.png.f18174df7834b332baa8255f6b833a9d.png

It’s chalk and cheese really and you can keep zooming in to get more detail. But it was all there before Garmin bought Navionics.

I’m pretty sure you have to Subscribe to get Sonacharts. Perhaps Bear can look at his tablet and try to activate Sonarcharts without a subscription. 

Cheers Zoran 

I’ll check it out and let you know.  I’ve had the app for several years and I haven’t subscribed. I had to accept the new terms to turn it on though

Ok thanks so much Bear... so it looks like you are definitely not getting the level of detail that I am seeing with an active Subscription.

You also do not see the Community Edits - the markers and waypoints added by other users.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962

9 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Ok thanks so much Bear... so it looks like you are definitely not getting the level of detail that I am seeing with an active Subscription.

You also do not see the Community Edits - the markers and waypoints added by other users.

Cheers Zoran

Well that is good to hear.  I’d hate to think I had the same detail when I only paid once years ago lol.

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Zoran

From your screenshots zoran you can see that the waypoints line up with underawater features so it does look like it contains more detail.

There is a free solution saving $34.99 per year - however it will work only close to the  shore (Internet) and requires 2 apps on a phone/tablet and involves a bit of inconvenience/patience ;) :

1. Free Web Navionics Maps (or even free Web CMAP Genesis maps as an alternative )  - adjustable / full depth details however no GPS/Spots

2. One of Free Map Apps with GPS function and manually added Spots. Some of these Apps allow to import files with GPS coordinates so no much manual work actually required.

Or, alternatively buy a used compatible Navionics memory card ($100 or so unless prices changed recently) with enough depth details  - for your sounder - no updates however maps will not downgrade.

• Like 1