Stabicraft 1550 fisher

anthman

Hi all,

Having recently been on a friend's stabicraft offshore, I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on this particular boat.

It looks like a miniature "offshore" boat but of course not directly comparable to a proper 6m+ offshore fishing machine. At 4.7m, it's about as big as I'd want to go for handling reasons.

The use case I'm thinking of is 1-1.2m swell max, 10knotish winds, <5km from the shoreline.

I'm particularly keen to hear about people's thoughts in the seaworthiness of this craft offshore, what the kind of conditions you think this design could handle, and of there is a better alternative in the same class!

Thanks all!

There's a guy down here in Narooma that takes his 4.7 out to the seamounts 50k+. I use a 5.2m zodiac which I feel confident will out perform most 6-7m boats in bad conditions offshore ( same concept different materials).

My next boat purchase will be a tubed aluminium boat ( in survey) possibly an ocean cylinder 550.IMG_0977.thumb.JPG.0062b9a2257165dc06e5679fca50b9dd.JPG

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JonD said:

There's a guy down here in Narooma that takes his 4.7 out to the seamounts 50k+. I use a 5.2m zodiac which I feel confident will out perform most 6-7m boats in bad conditions offshore ( same concept different materials).

My next boat purchase will be a tubed aluminium boat ( in survey) possibly an ocean cylinder 550.IMG_0977.thumb.JPG.0062b9a2257165dc06e5679fca50b9dd.JPG

@JonD,

You shouldn't be able to compare yourself with us mortal boat fisherman......you go to places with that blow up you have where most of us wouldn't dare go with the Titanic.....😜😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JonD said:

I have only ever seen one ocean cylinder which was the one you identified at seaworld darling harbour.

They look like awesome boats for fishing. I wonder if theyre pricey?

2 hours ago, anthman said:

Hi all,

Having recently been on a friend's stabicraft offshore, I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on this particular boat.

It looks like a miniature "offshore" boat but of course not directly comparable to a proper 6m+ offshore fishing machine. At 4.7m, it's about as big as I'd want to go for handling reasons.

The use case I'm thinking of is 1-1.2m swell max, 10knotish winds, <5km from the shoreline.

I'm particularly keen to hear about people's thoughts in the seaworthiness of this craft offshore, what the kind of conditions you think this design could handle, and of there is a better alternative in the same class!

Thanks all!

I used to take my 460 quintrex renegade (4.6m) to the botany wide FAD which was 18kms out of botany. 

At that size with the type of conditions and fishing you have described it should be fine.

The real thing u need to worry about is experience...thats where 90% of boating accidents go wrong. 

Learn your boats limitations and how it handles, check all safety equipment, check the weather and continue to monitor throughout the day.  The list goes on.

Just now, JonD said:

This is the model I'm keen on, they come up at government auction every now and then.

IMG_1769.thumb.PNG.0024e589f818e0f6d5c12ad56793862d.PNG

Bewdiful !!! .... they really look the goods..... interesting choice of black motor on the back too 😇 !!!

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anthman said:

@anthman given your specifications you probably need @rickmarlin62 to chip in .... I'm pretty sure Rick runs a 4.8m VSEA offshore very happily -- maybe he could compare or has experience regarding the VSEA vs the Stabi 1550 to give some pointers on what the Stabi capabilities are.

All subject to how experienced you are offshore offcourse !

Cheers Zoran

Thanks guys! I feel more informed regarding size of boat.

Has any got any experience with the stabicraft 1550 fisher or similar?

Will look into the other boats named here .

11 minutes ago, anthman said:

Thanks guys! I feel more informed regarding size of boat.

Has any got any experience with the stabicraft 1550 fisher or similar?

Will look into the other boats named here .

This guy uses both small and large stabicraft boats, he has some good reviews on YouTube 

18 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Bewdiful !!! .... they really look the goods..... interesting choice of black motor on the back too 😇 !!!

Cheers Zoran

I believe many government boats are now using these engines. Speaking with a few marine mechanics and many comercial abb guys, these black engines have a very sturdy gearbox, something needed with these comercial guys constantly in and out of gear with divers on hooka.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, JonD said:

This guy uses both small and large stabicraft boats, he has some good reviews on YouTube 

Thanks JonD - some great videos from this guy, you should see the video of his new stabicraft 2750 - it's insane! 

Just trying to get the best boat for size I'm after. Stabicrafts look really sturdy at this length.

There are a few of these stabis up our way  they are quite capable hulls for outside  only downside i see with them is lack of room inside same as the 490 barcrusher  i have heaps more room in my old shape vsea  i travel to the shelf off here and thats 28naut mile  i fish broughton is often and normally rack up 26 to 32 naut mile just chasin reds  boats this size are usable outside so long as you take the weather into consideration  have all safety gear and treat the ocean with respect   there are lots of boats in the 4.5  5.o mtr range  look around you might stumble on something completly different...rick

I seriously looked at one of these 1550's before buying my current boat.    They look to be very well made.  My choice in the end was it was a bit smaller and had a much smaller motor 60hp and cost the same as the boat I did buy.  But if that Stabi is what you want it sure did look nice and well made.

Bear

12 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

I seriously looked at one of these 1550's before buying my current boat.    They look to be very well made.  My choice in the end was it was a bit smaller and had a much smaller motor 60hp and cost the same as the boat I did buy.  But if that Stabi is what you want it sure did look nice and well made.

Bear

Which boat did you end up getting and was it new? Still open to other options (if size permits).

A couple of other considerations on a first boat is the kind of fishing you think you want todo might change up a notch after a while.

Casting lures, poppers or even flicking baits away from small boats with canopies and cabs can be tricky, especially fishing with others. Thinking you may happy to just drop baits under the boat or pull lures can soon change once you've done that for a while.

Centre consoles, or centre cabs in bigger boats allow people to cast from different positions in a boat, often meaning two of you can constantly cast at a patch of fish without obstructions. Hooking big fish in open or centre consoles can also be far easier to control as you can move around the whole boat. 

An open boat gives you a much better field of view for spotting fish. Water on windscreens, scratches or even condensation make viewing distant fishy signs very hard. Looking through a windscreen on a boat with polarisers does something to the glass making it look like oil and very glarey and hard to spot through.

I simply can't handle being in a seat in rough conditions as it pains my back to much. A standing position allows me to bend my knees taking much of the impact of rough water handling. The line of sight standing gives me a good working line to pick through rough water and maintain a decent speed, I simply pick my way through waves bigger boats smash into. 

Down side is some open boats can be wet, mine certainly isn't and I would assume the little stabi in the video would be similar. Most of us go through many boats, each time ticking off more things on our wants list. For me economy, ease of use and handling alone are most important.

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789
16 hours ago, JonD said:

This is the model I'm keen on, they come up at government auction every now and then.

IMG_1769.thumb.PNG.0024e589f818e0f6d5c12ad56793862d.PNG

I want one! Bloody hell thats a great design.

Thanks JonD and sea ranger, some useful information there.

I currently have a 4.3m bluefin discovery with 40hp - have peaked past the heads only a few times and mainly fish the harbour and middle harbour on days no more than 2m swell (8sec period or more) and less than 15knot winds. I love to bottom bash but also chase bust ups so do prioritise a comfortable and dry ride. Would probably troll more if I had a solid ride - the current boat and outboard is ok, but somewhat low gunnels, not very deep V hull and average confidence engine (reliability issues in the very beginning) really do discourage me from venturing past the heads.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2019 at 10:54 AM, flatheadluke said:

I want one! Bloody hell thats a great design.

Both are currently for sale on gumtree.

5 minutes ago, 1550Fisher said:

I am very impressed withmy 1550 Fisher - bar crossings, catching marlin, hauling spanner crab pots - it does it all with ease. Have been 50 km offshore and feel very safe. F70 Yammy perfectly matched and one-up gives me 3.4 km/lt. 

They certainly tick many boxes, that's good economy, even better than I get from mine in my rib with an f70. 

Hi,

These are great boats. They are well looked after by the Police and  serviced.

If you are considering buying on contact the Water Police. They are great guys especially the guys on the Northern Beaches.

Cheers.

Stabicraft should be in a league of it's own - it's that much better. Out of 30 or so offshore glass and plate boats I flipped, the ex-police Stabi 559XR is my keeper. It does sacrifice deck-space for safety, but the thick gunnels do have storage along the entire length which is very handy.

Edited by Ravinggg
  • Like 2