Port Stephens- plan A-B-C

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Well we had a few plans today and had to exercise most of them. Headed out with @Woodsy1 and Jnr scratchie. 

First, was to collect some bait and the slimies came thick and fast  

Second, head out to the fad in the hope of a few dollies. We got there and the water was only 17.5 and lifeless. 

Now came decision time???

Either push on out further to the shelf and try for a beak or head back to Broughton to try our luck at some snaps or kings! Couldn’t raise anyone on the radio to get a report from the car park so we headed back in.

Plan C- drift the sisters, find the bait and anchor up and throw lightly weighted fillets down a burley trail. 

We found the bait alright, thousands of them filled the screen but after an hour or so not one taker! So we got Jnr to fill up on some slimies and change spot. 

We got there and the young fella was feeling sick so he went in the cabin. Woodsy and I just kept casting and finally run into a patch of snapper! Woodsy has shown recently how good of an apprentice he is and today was no exception! He killed it and managed to upgrade his PB landing a stonker 83cm snaps! I helped out with a few pannies and he added more fish with every drift. Then he hooks another monster that did not give him a chance and dusted him on the reef after a strong run. Caught a few more and called it quits with a bag of 10 or more already on ice! 

Ended up a great day out yet again and another PB for Woodsy! Well done champ! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 8F5555AD-A85D-4D6D-9DC1-710FF8C0A6E1.thumb.jpeg.d6261ee52dcbf7f5597e701ff0dcf9d7.jpegF07BD204-F520-4369-B574-55158B5D7D04.thumb.jpeg.770a3eef5620d765e0b0efc66180fe68.jpeg

• Like 12

Well done scratchie... great report!

I think I might of saw you heading out this morning as I was coming back in. We are in the 28ft blue sea fox center console with twin 300hp Evinrude’s. 

We got to just south of the FAD with the water cold 18.6 and like a washing machine so decided to head back to the marina! Looks like we should of packed some lighter gear and headed up for some snapper! Hopefully one day this week we will do the same.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done that's one top fish great photo Scratchie

Always good to watch a mate get a PB 👍

14 minutes ago, Ka-Ching said:

Well done scratchie... great report!

I think I might of saw you heading out this morning as I was coming back in. We are in the 28ft blue sea fox center console with twin 300hp Evinrude’s. 

We got to just south of the FAD with the water cold 18.6 and like a washing machine so decided to head back to the marina! Looks like we should of packed some lighter gear and headed up for some snapper! Hopefully one day this week we will do the same.

Maybe, we were in a 6.7m barcrusher. It was horrible water out there! Broughton is ALWAYS an option! 

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

Great report, Jeff and a cracker of a red there, Woodsie! Well done!

Were there many boats out and how were the idiots at the ramp? I’ve got Wednesday off - maybe I can get out and back before the thunderstorms.

Woodsy is on fire baz! 

Never get idiots at 5am. Haha 😆 

A few boats here and there but where caught fish we had it all to ourselves! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Too add to the post, all these fish were caught in the middle of the day, in 10-12m of water! No tide change, dirty water and only a temp of 17.7 deg. 

....guess that's why its called fishing !!! 

BTW, checkout my previous photos....that big orange esky is identical to MINE ... sticker and all ... Hey did you guys take it and find the schnapps in there? 

Seriously though, awesome report and result fellas.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

Awesome result guys....stonking snapps there. 

I cant remember the last time Scratchie got a decent red when woodsy is onboard. Dont worry i have a friend like that too.... whenever hes on board he gets all the biggies. Same bait, same location, and usually im the one who ties his rig for him 😅

• Haha 2

Great day Scratchie maybe not for Brandon being crook but what a good kid he didn’t complain all day and caught us all those slimmies for us. It was great when we fineally found the snaps , thanks again for the tips. 

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great report, Jeff and a cracker of a red there, Woodsie! Well done!

Thanks Baz persistence is paying off I’m liking beating the Snapper whisperer but I haven’t got much of the fish repellent left that I’m squirting Scratchie’s line

1 hour ago, saltrix said:

Great fish, persistence pays off.

Thanks Saltrix,  your right

woodsy

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome result guys....stonking snapps there. 

I cant remember the last time Scratchie got a decent red when woodsy is onboard. Dont worry i have a friend like that too.... whenever hes on board he gets all the biggies. Same bait, same location, and usually im the one who ties his rig for him 😅

Lol I’ve finally learnt how to tie my own knots now, I just wait till he cuts the bait up to get the best pieces 

19 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Hopin to get up on fri arvo jeff...nice work woodsie  turnin into a gun...pik up your game jeff haha..good to see fish comin in from there

Yeah It’s hard seeing Jeff only getting small ones, not

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

cant remember the last time Scratchie got a decent red when woodsy is onboard.

Actually, neither can I????? Some of my betters reds last year and only one with Woodsy........

A3F06581-2238-4954-ACB4-64992416F44D.thumb.jpeg.aab880304ba816c6cdb9ad986eab9af2.jpegHmmmm???????? 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Botany Bay Fishing said:

Great report @Scratchie have always been interested in being able to get a good feed of snapper, How far out were you, 10-12m i would assume not that far?

My father and i fish out of Botany bay and love any advice you have :) cheers in advance

We are actually fishing around Broughton Island. All of the snapper I chase is in 8-30m of water. Generally using only soft plastics but sometimes use slimie and yakka fillets! 

Look for reef structure and drop offs. Then find the bait and you’ll find the fish! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Actually, neither can I????? Some of my betters reds last year and only one with Woodsy........

A3F06581-2238-4954-ACB4-64992416F44D.thumb.jpeg.aab880304ba816c6cdb9ad986eab9af2.jpegHmmmm???????? 🤔 

I can only dream of catching one snapps that big, let alone so many in one year !!!! You are the undisputed snapper whisperer scratchie.

Ps. My fav photo is the one with the horse snaps and that sexy white motor in the background 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GoingFishing said:

I can only dream of catching one snapps that big, let alone so many in one year !!!! You are the undisputed snapper whisperer scratchie.

Ps. My fav photo is the one with the horse snaps and that sexy white motor in the background 😂😂😂

Haha Sam! 

Catching the fish is generally the easy part. Finding them is the hardest! 

Your dream can become a reality if you tow your boat up this way!!! 😝