Garmin vs Lowrance vs Raymarine vs Furuno etc

Sea Ranger

I do not claim to be an expert on these by any means.  Another thread on here about a cost rise in Navionics prompted me to start this thread.   I recently purchased a new boat. My intention at the time was to get a Lowrance HDs live sounder.  My boat came with a Garmin 75sv echomap.   I did have some conversation with the dealer who advised me that Garmin had just purchased Navionics so if I was familiar with that software it was likely that soon it would be compatible with my unit or at least similar features.  Now I must clarify my previous sounder was a Lowrance x25 and I used Navionics on my Android tablet.  My Navionics was not the HD version. I also did not have the subscription.  Coming from the x25 just about any new sounder would look good.  I’m more than happy with the down/side scan and normal sonar.   I had read that the maps on Garmin were not as good as Navionics so I took my tablet and compared on my first outing.  To me they were labeled slightly different but contour wise and coastal feature wise they all but looked the same.  I haven’t carried the tablet since.   I have read that in some areas one or the other has better detail.  One thing I really think has potential with the Garmin is QuickDraw.  QuickDraw allows me to share my soundings to 1 foot contours with others and in the process saves those readings to my base map.  I like the idea of cloud sharing mapping details amongst other skippers. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/543340

I think that link brings up the QuickDraw details.  

At anyrate I started this thread so we can, in a civil way discuss different sounders/plotters.

what plotter/sounder do you have?

Bear

I have a raymarine eSeries.  Circa 2012 so its getting out of date.  My sounder is pretty bad but I dont really know how to customise it/use it properly.  The touchscreen doesnt work so I have to use the menu button and up down arrows so its a pain.  Compared to some of the screenshots of newer garmins or lowrances it doesnt even compare.  

Its got 2012 maps which are still fairly accurate.  Compared to google maps and navionics I would rate it better than google maps but not as accurate as navionics.  

I've used Lowrance units for many years, currently have a gen3  hds12. Recent updates have caused a few issues ( not just for me) which Lowrance haven't been any help sorting out. I've recommended Lowrance and fitted many units to friends boats over the years but have to admit I'm now looking mighty more towards other manufactures simply because of the lack of knowledge some of the tec staff seem to have in resolving issues.

Simrad, Garmin and furuno are all on my radar for the future. Simrad being part of the Lowrance navico group would of once ranked high for me but recent experience has lowered their ranking.

Lowrance live view is available but I believe the $1300 transducer isn't ready, which makes getting real user reviews tricky.

For years I've been running a Furuno FCV585 and Furuno combo GPS which has served me well.  Recently a pin had corroded off the rear of the 585 so had to take it to a marine electronics technician for repair.  As they are getting to the end of their life span I asked the technician what he would replace the current electronics with.  This guy sells, installs and repairs all brands of marine electronics to the weekend warrior as well as the local commercial fishing fleet and has a good reputation.  Bearing in mind I fish for jewfish/flathead/bream in the river to marlin/blue eye cod offshore and everything in between this was his advice.  The technology changes every few months as does his advice.  He would currently go with a Raymarine MFD and TM275C-LHW 1kw transom mount transducer which has a constant 25deg wide beam.   He was a fan of the Simrad units but has seen about 20% of them coming back for repair.  His advice was specific for my fishing needs so may not be relevant to all.  Hope the info helps.  

Cheers Dave

• Like 1

Recently upgraded from a HDS10 Gen 2 with LSS2 to the new HDS Live 12.  Structure scan is much more crisp in both the down and side scan(AI 3 in 1 tranny) on the live unit over the LSS2 setup I was previously running.  Being able to view the screen with polarized sunnies on is also a good thing with the new unit.

Just this week I traded in my old Navionics platinum plus 62p+ card to the new platinum xl3 62p+ but havn't yet had the chance to take it out on the boat to test.  I wasn't able to access all the features the Live unit presents me with my old card, hence the trade in.  The thing that bugged me most with the new unit/old card was the inability to make the water shades of blue, like it previously did with the Gen2 unit.

Navionics also has the ability to share maps - community based edits I think they are called, but I havn't yet thought of playing around with this option.  I more or less know my local haunts well enough these days.

Im happy with Lowrance, Ive had a HDS 7 Gen1, then the HDS10 Gen 2 with LSS2 and now the HDS12 Live.  Touch wood, I have never had an issue.  I wanted to stick with this brand due to the purchase of a new Motorguide xi5 which was upgraded about October 2018 from a MG 55SW.

15 hours ago, mii11x said:

Navionics also has the ability to share maps - community based edits I think they are called, but I havn't yet thought of playing around with this option.  I more or less know my local haunts well enough these days.

I

I originally wanted the HDS Live 7 or 9 before getting the Garmin (Packaged with my boat)  

Do you know if the Navionics shares actual soundings of the surrounding structure or just marks?

Bear

• 3 months later...
On 1/8/2019 at 6:24 AM, Sea Ranger said:

... a Garmin 75sv echomap. ...

What plotter/sounder do you have?

Bear

Decided on a Garmin Echomap Plus 65cv for our new boat.

At the same price point, a Lowerance unit had the side view scan, but I decided on the Quickdraw over side view. Have since found by adjusting the angle of the beam, I can get as much 'side scan' as I'll ever use.

Quickdraw works great. Slowly building my maps for the area's I fish with some great detail.

I have been using a Lowrance G2 HDS 8 for chart, sounder and side-scan for the last few years.  After looking at an upgrade for a short while.  I have recently started to use an iPad with the Navionics app for my chart to give me more screen real-estate for the chart and sounder.

So far (3 months), this is a good combo for me.  The app needs to have a few more features (Heads-up lock, trace always on) but aside from that the chart is better on the iPad with easier interface and much better screen resolution.  As long as Navionics keeps listening to feedback and evolving their app/s (which they seem to be doing atm) I probably won't be looking back.

I am keeping my eye out for the first practical CCTV fish finder where we can see the fish swimming and how they are interacting (or not) with our baits.....