Murray cod

marks1984

As some may be aware the Murray Cod are a Western side of the Great divider species. Any river that flows into the Murray Darling theoretically could provide Murray Cod.

Many Lakes have been stocked with them, how ever in proximity to Sydney you are looking around at least 2 hours driving.

Rumour has it some of the catchments to the south of sydney, Nepean, Avon and Cataract are stocked with cod and yellow belly if you can find access.

Macquarie River from Bathurst onwards you will find them. Ben Chifley Dam has occasionally given some monster cod to lucky anglers. 

You will have luck if you fish Lake Burrinjuck, Wyangalar and Burrendong.

I have also heard on the grapevine Cod have been released in Oberon Dam.

Big lures and persistence is the key.

• Like 2

sadly there are hundreds of dead ones in the Menindee Lakes area Broken Hill. They have to let water flow more freely through the Darling River System. What about pumping water from the great coastal rivers eg Tweed/Richmond/Clarence/Macley/Manning over the Great Dividing Range ....and maybe some Hydro Electric Turbines on the down side to power the pumps moving the water up the mountains and then lots of water for fish and farmers and the ailing river systems. Our west could well become the food bowl of The World!!

Just need some polititions with some forsight and some !@#$ to get the job done.

I dare say there is plenty of Chinese and Oil money that could be shovelled in this direction for such an obvious infrastructure jugonaut

Jim...

Not wishing to hijack marks1984 post and following on from the comments by jot I have to chime in with a very significant commentary about MDBA.

We have just witnessed another disaster in the Menindee / Darling River region of western NSW. Tens of thousands of fish killed by low oxygenated water (again). There is a lot of finger pointing and rhetoric going on at the moment...all well and good. BUT IT IS TIME FOR ACTION. Government needs to realise the problems and fix them. We have spent numerous years trying to help native freshwater fish recover from the pillage that existed, when stupid people thought it ok to fill Hills hoists with hundreds of metre long Murray Cod. Now, thanks to the inability of the Governments MDBA plan, to provide water for farming AND environmental use, we are back where we were 20 years ago. The Darling River system is virtually stuffed and I see that the Murrumbidgee at Hay is now affected with low, poor quality, water conditions. It is time for action...NOW. bn

IMG_0315rs.thumb.jpg.d128a43bc1abb7529cf8eb31ccf7579e.jpg

IMG_6420resize.jpg.5bb03134aab3fd052f342c1b5aba274c.jpg

• Like 3

Mate all good not being hijacked sometimes some shit needs to be said if someone takes offense or deletes the comment cause of all of the PC crap. Back in the day we fought for your freedom now people are having a sook over things like telling someone that they have done something incorrectly as now they need to say next time maybe do it this way cause they don't want to offend people. Sorry that's my rant about how soft this world is