Info on how to reduce wind knots

fishii

Hi All 

Need some info on how to reduce wind knots . I started spinning recently and keep getting wind knots quite often . I have a saragosa 6000 with 30lb tasline on a SHIMANO JEWEL 962 8-15KG SPIN ROD . Initially I believed the knots were caused cause the fluro was 60lb . I moved this down to 40lb and noticed some improvement . Any assistance would be appreciated 

Thanks

they can be difficult to avoid

matching your leader and braid size does help when there's a big diameter difference the lines cast at different speeds and result in braid falling on itself causing the beloved wind knot

try a different type of braid, I have found 8 strand braid is far less prone to wind knots than 4 strand  

Unfortunately there are a whole number of contributing factures. 

Intimately you need to use methods to reduce the amount of 'slack' line & if possible try to manoeuvre where the wind is coming from behind you, hence reducing slack line build up.

If stick baiting or using poppers don't wind the reel as your line hits the water, rather close the bail arm manually & even stop the line coming off the spool straight away with your hand, also if possible try to position your flat open fingers where the line is coming off the spool to keep a bit more tension on the line, obviously this will reduce your cast distance a bit but you cant have it all right!!

Make sure your reel is spooled evenly & not over filled, if your spool has more line at the bottom or the top it can produce overlaps, if there is to much line on the spool then line tends to just fall off the spool. 

Rod tip wobble  is also a factor, rods with soft tips give the line a oscillating movement & knots form as the line starts to slacken where the line catches up  with the line that's in the water already.

In some cases like fishing off the beach with onshore winds I just go back to fishing with mono, while it can still happen it us usually less frequent.

Hope that helps 👍

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

number one cause is not winding the line on with enough tension in the first place, when spooling a reel with braid at 30 lb you should be winding on with about 5-6 lbs tension- no joke- this will hurt your wrist and take time, this stops line digging into the layer beneath and reduces wind knots to zero, i havent had one in years on any of my reels since i started spooling under a lot of tension.

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Make sure your reel is spooled evenly & not over filled, if your spool has more line at the bottom or the top it can produce overlaps, if there is to much line on the spool then line tends to just fall off the spool. 

+1 on this advice. 90% of the times I've had it have been because the spool is over-filled. I've used the approach in the past of just cutting away the knots each time they occur and usually once you've chopped enough off they will completely stop. Bloody annoying in the mean time though.

Cheers,

Rich

17 hours ago, fishii said:

Hi All 

Need some info on how to reduce wind knots . I started spinning recently and keep getting wind knots quite often . I have a saragosa 6000 with 30lb tasline on a SHIMANO JEWEL 962 8-15KG SPIN ROD . Initially I believed the knots were caused cause the fluro was 60lb . I moved this down to 40lb and noticed some improvement . Any assistance would be appreciated 

Thanks

Hi. I can give you some tips from my experiences. Wind knots are mostly caused by the line not being sufficiently slowed down and controlled by the spool lip when casting. It needs to slow down just that little bit. Can you put up a close picture of the line on your spool. 

As stated could possibly be not enough tension when braid was spooled on. Or if you used a proper spooling device to get the braid on. Try actually reeling in line with tension after a few casts. 

What knot are you using to join braid to the fluro? The knot could be hitting every guide and causing the braid to knot itself

10 hours ago, bombora said:

Flip your bail arm over with your hand, not by turning the reel handle. That little slack loop of line laying on the spool, caused when turning the reel to flip the bail, can cause wind knots.

Off topic. But always manually flip over your bail. Flipping the bail by turning your handle causes so much stress on your gears it will cause play and lose smoothless over time.

Guest Guest123456789
On 1/11/2019 at 9:11 AM, PaddyT said:

number one cause is not winding the line on with enough tension in the first place, when spooling a reel with braid at 30 lb you should be winding on with about 5-6 lbs tension- no joke- this will hurt your wrist and take time, this stops line digging into the layer beneath and reduces wind knots to zero, i havent had one in years on any of my reels since i started spooling under a lot of tension.

Just make sure the spool is hot when you do it. Spool it up tight in a cold garage in middle of winter can cause problems when summer hits and the metal expands

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Guest Guest123456789

If it were me I’d get on a boat somewhere there is current and no boat traffic and slowly let all the line out and leave it for 10 minutes to untwist. Then I’d spoil it up nice and tight (but not too tight) with the drag tightened right up.

as others have stated winding against the drag could be causing the issue. Also if you’re casting across a strong breeze (instead of against or with) using a heavy lure you might twist the line after about 10 casts.

You can also try attaching a swivel (either straight to the lure or to connect the leader) to reduce twist.

also what is tasline? A good quality braid like daiwa j braid wil resist line twists a lot better than cheaper types.

good luck with it mate! Cheers,

luke.

29 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

also what is tasline? A good quality braid like daiwa j braid wil resist line twists a lot better than cheaper types.

good luck with it mate! Cheers,

luke.

Tasline elite is a high quality braided line. Really thin and strong. Daiwa jbraid is not really good quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All 

Thanks for the info . I managed to have an entire fishing session without any wind knots " Fingers crossed". I realized a couple of mistakes I kept making . 

1. Reel had too much line on it . Removed a bit of line so that it's not overspooled.

2. When I cast, if its against the wind . I get alot of slack line . To avoid it  I close the bail when I feel there is enough line out . Once I close the bail I pull a bit of line with my hand . This avoids any slack on the line in the spool.

Thank you all very much. Appreciate it.

I use an FG knot :)

Edited by fishii